Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: To Begin Smoking Pipe Tobacco

You might consider buying a corn cob pipe or two so you can get into some different tobaccos sooner. People who know will tell you cobs smoke wonderfully. Just make sure it's a real Missouri Meerschaum, not a worthless Chinese knock-off.
    Pete

I hate scotch.

Novice

I'd also recommend going for an "estate" pipe unless you don't have any issues building a cake over 50 bowls, or you can't stand the thought of putting your mouth on a used stem. You can get some great pipes for a small fraction of the cost. Many shops will ream out estate pipes thoroughly, but they'll still build up a nice cake much faster so you can get a nice cool smoking 20-30 minute bowl.

Beyond that, like bourbon, pipe tobacco and pipe styles are almost entirely personal preference.

As far as english tobaccos go, I think McClelland Dark English (this was my Grandpa's preferred smoke) is an excellent introduction to Latakia blends.

Disciple

Lots of good, quick estate deals on Ebay. You might do better price-wise on your own hunting, but even after shipping you should be able to find something decent for less than $15 or so.

Virtuoso

Hey guys, ordered two Missouri Meerschaum "Diplomat" corn cob pipes and they arrived today:

Also got some Medico filters. Now I just need to decide what type of tobacco to use for my first attempt at smoking a pipe...

Virtuoso

Smoked two bowls of cheapo Captain Black white pouch last night. Not bad stuff but I had to keep doing relights. Picked up some Captain Black gold pouch today along with some Borkum Riff Bourbon Whiskey (heh).

Enthusiast

I like English pipe tobaccos ... Samuel Gawith - Squadron Leader, Dunhill - My Mixture 965 and Ashton - Artisan's Blend ... yum. But, that's my current taste ...

BTW ... enjoy your new pipes!
    Sto lat!!!

bllygthrd

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by bllygthrd View Post
    I like English pipe tobaccos ... Samuel Gawith - Squadron Leader, Dunhill - My Mixture 965 and Ashton - Artisan's Blend ... yum. But, that's my current taste ...

BTW ... enjoy your new pipes!
    I just ordered some tobaccos from pipesandcigars.com. I got 2oz of Lane 1-Q, and a tin each of Dunhill Nightcap and Mixture 965. Looking forward to trying something other than Captain Black and Borkum Riff.

Connoisseur

I'm glad you're branching out! While I no longer smoke regularly (I have a cigar or smoke a pipe perhaps once every two years), the mass-market blends are mostly just... blah.

Have you considered visiting a tobacconist, as in the kind that can blend pipe tobacco for their customers?

If you were up here around Boston, I'd recommend a trip to L.J. Peretti (http://www.ljperetti.com), right next to Boston Common. They're 140 years worth of old-school custom blending, full-service tobacconist. They'll work with you to find exactly what's to your taste. Unfortunately, a quick search on the net doesn't turn any outstanding stores in Lexington KY, though if Florence isn't too far, Straus Tobacconist might be okay. Sadly, I'm not too good with the geography out your way.

Unfortunately, it looks like pipes and tobacco are really out of fashion compared to cigars, and many of the good old stores are fading away.
    Last edited by Kalessin; 07-11-2013 at 21:01.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Kalessin View Post
    I'm glad you're branching out! While I no longer smoke regularly (I have a cigar or smoke a pipe perhaps once every two years), the mass-market blends are mostly just... blah.

Have you considered visiting a tobacconist, as in the kind that can blend pipe tobacco for their customers?

If you were up here around Boston, I'd recommend a trip to L.J. Peretti (http://www.ljperetti.com), right next to Boston Common. They're 140 years worth of old-school custom blending, full-service tobacconist. They'll work with you to find exactly what's to your taste. Unfortunately, a quick search on the net doesn't turn any outstanding stores in Lexington KY, though if Florence isn't too far, Straus Tobacconist might be okay. Sadly, I'm not too good with the geography out your way.

Unfortunately, it looks like pipes and tobacco are really out of fashion compared to cigars, and many of the good old stores are fading away.
    Thanks Kalessin. To be honest I'm kind of intimidated to walk into a tobacconist regarding pipe tobacco. Cigars are different because I think I have a decent knowledge of them. I know next to nothing about pipe tobacco!

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Clavius View Post
    Thanks Kalessin. To be honest I'm kind of intimidated to walk into a tobacconist regarding pipe tobacco. Cigars are different because I think I have a decent knowledge of them. I know next to nothing about pipe tobacco!
    Tobacconist's love fresh fish that want to learn ... they become loyal customers.
    Sto lat!!!

bllygthrd