Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Guru

Re: To Begin Smoking Pipe Tobacco

Another vote for the Peretti shop.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Clavius View Post
    Smoked two bowls of cheapo Captain Black white pouch last night. Not bad stuff but I had to keep doing relights.
    Sometimes you have to let the tobacco dry out a little for it to smoke nicely.
    Pete

I hate scotch.

Connoisseur

Thanks Kalessin. To be honest I'm kind of intimidated to walk into a tobacconist regarding pipe tobacco. Cigars are different because I think I have a decent knowledge of them. I know next to nothing about pipe tobacco!
    You have a great "in" already; visit a full-service tobacconist and start talking cigars, then say you've become interested in pipes and tobacco.

I originally learned a little about pipe tobacco because my father and late grandfather were pipe smokers. Back in the 1970's my grandfather used to take a very young me to a shop where his own blend of cavendish was made to order; it included raspberry, vanilla and whiskey flavorings. We would get invited into the blending room in back where we'd watch the store owner mix it for him. It was a highly flavored, very 1970's style blend. Much later on, I discovered my own tastes when I was quitting cigarettes.

I found I like big, bold blends. A legendary tinned blend called Balkan Sobranie Original Mixture was still available at the time; it's almost exactly the pipe tobacco version of Stitzel-Weller: a long-closed producer, components that are just no longer available, and people hunt little old shops for tins and pay huge amounts for it in the aftermarket.
    Last edited by Kalessin; 07-15-2013 at 14:04.

Disciple

Thanks Kalessin. To be honest I'm kind of intimidated to walk into a tobacconist regarding pipe tobacco. Cigars are different because I think I have a decent knowledge of them. I know next to nothing about pipe tobacco!
    Much like the bourbon isle, I think a tobacconist's shop is full of people who talk about the Emporer's fancy new clothes. Everyone thinks they are the only one there who doesn't know that much. As others have said, let the guy behind the counter help you, and if he can relate certain flavors to cigars you know, all the easier for him.

Virtuoso

Just opened my order from PipesandCigars.com. I ordered a tin each of Dunhill Mixture 965 and Nightcap along with 2oz of Lane 1-Q. The 1-Q smells great as I thought it would and I can't wait to try it. However, I just opened the tin of Mixture 965 and holy crap does this smell smokey! A lot like an Islay single malt! Same goes with the Nightcap though it's a little more subdued.

Taster

Just opened my order from PipesandCigars.com. I ordered a tin each of Dunhill Mixture 965 and Nightcap along with 2oz of Lane 1-Q. The 1-Q smells great as I thought it would and I can't wait to try it. However, I just opened the tin of Mixture 965 and holy crap does this smell smokey! A lot like an Islay single malt! Same goes with the Nightcap though it's a little more subdued.
    Yeah the smell of Latakia might come as a surprise to some. Especially if you are expecting some kind of heavily cased aromatic blend. Dig in and see how you like it. If you don't like it, there are plenty others to explore!

Connoisseur

I can't wait to hear the results from the order... :-)

While you're sampling, I might as well add: Right now it's high summer, and the thick, heavy blends are probably going to be a bit too much to take. Winter is when I tend to really want to light a pipe with one of the heavy latakia blends; right now I have no urge to smoke anything, though I might consider a light mild tobacco. Wait for cooler weather for the heavy stuff, especially if you're limited to smoking outdoors (as I am).

Connoisseur

I really like virginia and va/per blends, but in the summer it's all I can smoke. No heavy aromatics or latakia blends in the summer at all, and burley just doesn't taste right to me.

Orlik Golden Sliced and Dunhill DeLuxe Navy Rolls are two of my favorite summer blends. And right now Pipes and Cigars have them on sale! (no affiliation, except a happy customer)
    "this hobby is supposed to be fun. When it stops being fun, check yourself, because you're doing it wrong." Charles Cowdery

Virtuoso

So far I've tried the Lane 1-Q and the Dunhill Mixture 965. Haven't gotten to the Dunhill Nightcap yet. I found the 1-Q to be similar to Captain Black white, but better. And the Mixture 965 reminds me of a robust cigar. Sorry, that's as detailed as I can get!

I think I will follow your advice guys, and leave the heavier stuff for later in the year when the weather is cooler.

Enthusiast

So far I've tried the Lane 1-Q and the Dunhill Mixture 965. Haven't gotten to the Dunhill Nightcap yet. I found the 1-Q to be similar to Captain Black white, but better. And the Mixture 965 reminds me of a robust cigar. Sorry, that's as detailed as I can get!

I think I will follow your advice guys, and leave the heavier stuff for later in the year when the weather is cooler.
    Like with my bourbons, I keep a small log of the pipe tobaccos I try, and list the make-up ... if available. I've found that I like mixtures that contain Syrian Latakia and Perique tobaccos ... I love the stout and earthiness these tobaccos contribute to the flavor profile. I also recognize that my preferences have matured over time ... much like my tastes for bourbon, cigars and women! [actually, the same woman ... but she's matured!]
    Sto lat!!!

bllygthrd