Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2004 and Guru

Maker's Mark president Bill Samuels announces retirement

Colonel Bettye Jo Boone
    Industrial Maintenance
    Technician/Journeyperson
    Heaven Hill Distilleries
    Bardstown, Kentucky

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: Maker's Mark president Bill Samuels announces retirement

Probably more significant is the fact, mentioned in the press release, that Maker's has surpassed one million cases in annual sales, a threshold never before reached by a premium American whiskey.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Probably more significant is the fact, mentioned in the press release, that Maker's has surpassed one million cases in annual sales, a threshold never before reached by a premium American whiskey.
    "has achieved the milestone of a million cases annually" is the language used, as in production? I think that sales are still in the mid 700K range.

Guru

proof and age, you seem to be quite knowledgeable. Why don't you tell us a little about yourself and your sources? Or at least fill out your profile more so we can get to know you better.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Irreverent One

Quote Originally Posted by proof and age View Post
    "has achieved the milestone of a million cases annually" is the language used, as in production? I think that sales are still in the mid 700K range.

Domestic or world wide?
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by CorvallisCracker View Post
    Domestic or world wide?
    All, worldwide. There was another article from October that originally announced Rob's new position that clearly stated that the Million case projection was production. Also laid out the expansion that has taken place there at Star Hill and stated that thier capacity for production would double after the work is done in early 2011 (again, the info from the AP article). The Makers 46 sales are folded into this number as well from what I understand. Mr. Cowdery was quoted in this article commenting on the passing of the bataan.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

If they were referring to one-million cases in terms of current production, not sales, that would be disingenuous because nobody talks that way. Production is quoted in number of bushels mashed, proof gallons distilled or barrels filled, not converted to future cases. The press release says, "Now that we’ve achieved the milestone of one million cases as a brand..."

The article in the Courier Journal says, "Last year the company bottled 1 million cases for the first time."

In 2008, Kevin Smith told me they were on track to reach one million cases in sales by 2010.

It's sales.
    Last edited by cowdery; 01-12-2011 at 22:52.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    If they were referring to one-million cases in terms of current production, not sales, that would be disingenuous because nobody talks that way. Production is quoted in number of bushels mashed, proof gallons distilled or barrels filled, not converted to future cases. The press release says, "Now that we’ve achieved the milestone of one million cases as a brand..."

The article in the Courier Journal says, "Last year the company bottled 1 million cases for the first time."

In 2008, Kevin Smith told me they were on track to reach one million cases in sales by 2010.

It's sales.
    I have scoured all the news stories and press releases and see nowhere printed that sales exceeded 1 million cases, but rather have read over and over that cases bottled exceeded 1 million cases in 2010. Selling a million cases in a year is not the same as bottling a million cases. I have full repsect for Bill Samuels Jr. and in no way would try to question his impact on Bourbon and American whiskey during his tenure. In fact, I believe that the team at MM will likely achieve this milestone sooner than later, as it has been a mantra there for a number of years. I have tried to prove myself wrong, but have not been able to.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by proof and age View Post
    I have scoured all the news stories and press releases and see nowhere printed that sales exceeded 1 million cases, but rather have read over and over that cases bottled exceeded 1 million cases in 2010. Selling a million cases in a year is not the same as bottling a million cases. I have full repsect for Bill Samuels Jr. and in no way would try to question his impact on Bourbon and American whiskey during his tenure. In fact, I believe that the team at MM will likely achieve this milestone sooner than later, as it has been a mantra there for a number of years. I have tried to prove myself wrong, but have not been able to.
    So, if I'm interpreting your numbers correctly, then Maker's is selling only 70% of what they make?
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Guru

bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog