Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Bourbonian of the Year 2004 and Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Nelson County, Kentucky
    Posts
    2,735

    Maker's Mark president Bill Samuels announces retirement

    Colonel Bettye Jo Boone
    Industrial Maintenance
    Technician/Journeyperson
    Heaven Hill Distilleries
    Bardstown, Kentucky

  2. #2
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    12,622

    Re: Maker's Mark president Bill Samuels announces retirement

    Probably more significant is the fact, mentioned in the press release, that Maker's has surpassed one million cases in annual sales, a threshold never before reached by a premium American whiskey.

  3. #3
    Taster
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    60

    Re: Maker's Mark president Bill Samuels announces retirement

    Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Probably more significant is the fact, mentioned in the press release, that Maker's has surpassed one million cases in annual sales, a threshold never before reached by a premium American whiskey.
    "has achieved the milestone of a million cases annually" is the language used, as in production? I think that sales are still in the mid 700K range.


  4. #4
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Metro Detroit
    Posts
    5,203

    Re: Maker's Mark president Bill Samuels announces retirement

    proof and age, you seem to be quite knowledgeable. Why don't you tell us a little about yourself and your sources? Or at least fill out your profile more so we can get to know you better.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

  5. #5
    Irreverent One
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Heart of the Beaver State
    Posts
    2,395

    Re: Maker's Mark president Bill Samuels announces retirement

    Quote Originally Posted by proof and age View Post
    "has achieved the milestone of a million cases annually" is the language used, as in production? I think that sales are still in the mid 700K range.


    Domestic or world wide?
    Scott

    "Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

  6. #6
    Taster
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    60

    Re: Maker's Mark president Bill Samuels announces retirement

    Quote Originally Posted by CorvallisCracker View Post
    Domestic or world wide?
    All, worldwide. There was another article from October that originally announced Rob's new position that clearly stated that the Million case projection was production. Also laid out the expansion that has taken place there at Star Hill and stated that thier capacity for production would double after the work is done in early 2011 (again, the info from the AP article). The Makers 46 sales are folded into this number as well from what I understand. Mr. Cowdery was quoted in this article commenting on the passing of the bataan.

  7. #7
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    12,622

    Re: Maker's Mark president Bill Samuels announces retirement

    If they were referring to one-million cases in terms of current production, not sales, that would be disingenuous because nobody talks that way. Production is quoted in number of bushels mashed, proof gallons distilled or barrels filled, not converted to future cases. The press release says, "Now that we’ve achieved the milestone of one million cases as a brand..."

    The article in the Courier Journal says, "Last year the company bottled 1 million cases for the first time."

    In 2008, Kevin Smith told me they were on track to reach one million cases in sales by 2010.

    It's sales.
    Last edited by cowdery; 01-12-2011 at 22:52.

  8. #8
    Taster
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    60

    Re: Maker's Mark president Bill Samuels announces retirement

    Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    If they were referring to one-million cases in terms of current production, not sales, that would be disingenuous because nobody talks that way. Production is quoted in number of bushels mashed, proof gallons distilled or barrels filled, not converted to future cases. The press release says, "Now that we’ve achieved the milestone of one million cases as a brand..."

    The article in the Courier Journal says, "Last year the company bottled 1 million cases for the first time."

    In 2008, Kevin Smith told me they were on track to reach one million cases in sales by 2010.

    It's sales.
    I have scoured all the news stories and press releases and see nowhere printed that sales exceeded 1 million cases, but rather have read over and over that cases bottled exceeded 1 million cases in 2010. Selling a million cases in a year is not the same as bottling a million cases. I have full repsect for Bill Samuels Jr. and in no way would try to question his impact on Bourbon and American whiskey during his tenure. In fact, I believe that the team at MM will likely achieve this milestone sooner than later, as it has been a mantra there for a number of years. I have tried to prove myself wrong, but have not been able to.

  9. #9
    Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Just East of the Big Chicken, GA
    Posts
    6,124

    Re: Maker's Mark president Bill Samuels announces retirement

    Quote Originally Posted by proof and age View Post
    I have scoured all the news stories and press releases and see nowhere printed that sales exceeded 1 million cases, but rather have read over and over that cases bottled exceeded 1 million cases in 2010. Selling a million cases in a year is not the same as bottling a million cases. I have full repsect for Bill Samuels Jr. and in no way would try to question his impact on Bourbon and American whiskey during his tenure. In fact, I believe that the team at MM will likely achieve this milestone sooner than later, as it has been a mantra there for a number of years. I have tried to prove myself wrong, but have not been able to.
    So, if I'm interpreting your numbers correctly, then Maker's is selling only 70% of what they make?
    JOE

    Wag more.
    Bark less.

    "Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

  10. #10
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Metro Detroit
    Posts
    5,203

    Re: Maker's Mark president Bill Samuels announces retirement

    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Welcome to Bill Samuels!
    By Rughi in forum New to Straightbourbon
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-30-2010, 15:30
  2. Bill Samuels Speaks
    By barturtle in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-15-2009, 18:30
  3. Some Interesting Bill Samuels Related Quotes. . .
    By MurphyDawg in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-20-2004, 21:07
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-03-2002, 20:36
  5. Maker's Mark
    By Chris in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-23-2000, 15:16

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top