Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: Empty Bottle Support Group, 2010

Just finished a honey 2009 EC12 with Bourbon Joe... good to the last pour... I've got another on the shelf, but I'll be looking for more 09's...

Rob

Taster

Just finished my only taste (200 ml), of Old Taylor 6yr 86p from 1985. Loved it and I wish I had more or maybe a BIB. Thanks for your PM's.

Guru

Three down within the last few days: AAA10 YO, AA BIB and Rowan's Creek. I know I'll get kicked in the teeth for saying this, but I was happy to finish off the AAA10 to make space in the cabinet for something new from my bunker. I can't put my finger on why, but as time went on I began to view the AAA10 as thin and frankly a bit dull, particularly after a few sessions of taste comparisons with the BIB. Although I like mixing things up when sharing bourbon with friends, this is one instance when I wish I had stuck to my old "one bourbon at a time" rule because the 10 YO definitely came off second best when pitted against the BIB and I could never shake that impression thereafter. The Rowan's Creek, on the otherhand, impressed me more and more as time went by, having started out as just "okay" when I first cracked the bottle and ending up thoroughly enjoyable when I returned to it several times a few months later.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Three down within the last few days: AAA10 YO, AA BIB and Rowan's Creek. I know I'll get kicked in the teeth for saying this, but I was happy to finish off the AAA10 to make space in the cabinet for something new from my bunker. I can't put my finger on why, but as time went on I began to view the AAA10 as thin and frankly a bit dull, particularly after a few sessions of taste comparisons with the BIB. Although I like mixing things up when sharing bourbon with friends, this is one instance when I wish I had stuck to my old "one bourbon at a time" rule because the 10 YO definitely came off second best when pitted against the BIB and I could never shake that impression thereafter. The Rowan's Creek, on the otherhand, impressed me more and more as time went by, having started out as just "okay" when I first cracked the bottle and ending up thoroughly enjoyable when I returned to it several times a few months later.
    You'll get no kicking from me, Hank. I am in 100% agreement on your thoughts of the AAA 10 vs. AA BIB. The 10 yr is thin to me too, compared to the BIB. I've stated my opinion many times here, that the BIB is the best from the Ancient Age stable. Where many have pined the potential disappearance of the 10 yr (threatened many times over the years), I pine over the same fate potentially happening to the BIB. And, I'm afraid it may be, since I have not seen it in my travels to Kentucky over the last several months.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    You'll get no kicking from me, Hank. I am in 100% agreement on your thoughts of the AAA 10 vs. AA BIB. The 10 yr is thin to me too, compared to the BIB. I've stated my opinion many times here, that the BIB is the best from the Ancient Age stable. Where many have pined the potential disappearance of the 10 yr (threatened many times over the years), I pine over the same fate potentially happening to the BIB. And, I'm afraid it may be, since I have not seen it in my travels to Kentucky over the last several months.
    Glad to hear I'm not the only one, Joe. As to the potential disappearance of AA BIB, I would be sad to see that happen, as it's truly fine whiskey. Having said that, I've never seen a single bottle of it here in Chicagoland anyway. My three bottles came from a fine liquor store in Milwaukee last year and man am I glad I bought all three.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Enthusiast

I guess I have been on an EC kick recently, as I said goodbye to both the 12 and 18 year bottles I had open this week. Regardless of what the critics have to say, I really enjoy them both and find the price to value ratio to be very reasonable.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BradleyC View Post
    I guess I have been on an EC kick recently, as I said goodbye to both the 12 and 18 year bottles I had open this week. Regardless of what the critics have to say, I really enjoy them both and find the price to value ratio to be very reasonable.
    I'm completely with you on that, Brad. EC18 was my "breakthrough" bourbon, the one which suddenly had me searching the shelves of my local liquor store for other great bourbons. (I had been drinking more pedestrian stuff on and off for years but never caught the bug until the EC18 lured me in.) And EC12 has been a regular pour in my household for several years now, one which seems to consistently impress my "bourbon dabbler" friends who are only familiar with JBW, JD and perhaps Maker's Mark. Get out there and pick up some more!

Enthusiast

I finished off my second ever bottle of PVW 15. And I'm sad. The saving grace is I have one more stored away.

Disciple

Killed a flask of Yellowstone BIB from 1977/1983 last night to do VBT#300 -- fortunately there's another behind it and some 80's 86-proof deeper in the bunker!

As buttery as mentioned in others' tasting notes.
    Kevin

"Clears up her head with bourbon/Cause beer is so suburban/And declasse for what it's worth"

Guru

Two days ago a Rare Breed kicked the dust. Last night it was a Henry McKenna and tonight it was a Dickel Barrel Select. Almost time for another run.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"