Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Greetings From Indiana

I see how much good stuff is on this site and wonder why I wasn't here sooner. I have been interested in bourbon since the 1990s and have a small colecton. In the cabinet I have opened now OWA 107, Dant BIB, and Sazerac Rye. I would like to hunt dusties but haven't had much luck yet. At least I'm learning what to look for. Mostly I have to be ready to grab items when they appear. Old Fitz BIB, Rittenhouse BIB, OWA 107 and others sometimes are gone from the shelves for many months at a time around here. Everyone needs a hobby
    PaulO

Advanced Taster

Re: Greetings From Indiana

Welcome to the site, I'm new here myself.
    The water was not fit to drink. To make it palatable, we had to add whiskey. By diligent effort, I learned to like it.
    -- Winston Churchill

Welcome to the site, I see you have been into bourbon for a long time. Please share you experiences with us, we would love to here about them. I don't have much luck dusty hunting around here either but had a great time doing it in Houston in May at one of our get together. I hope you enjoy the site spend a lot of time looking around. Chat is the gazebo on the top of the main forum page it's officially Thursday and Sunday nights but is open all the time. People are in there most every night and at varying times of the day it says at the bottom of the page who is using chat. Stop by it's a lot of fun and informative . Have fun here, ask questions, post your opinions, make some new friends.

Paul
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Connoisseur

Welcome to the board from another Indy type. You will definitely find that the shelves have been picked over more than once in most of the area stores especially in the Greenwood area (I won't blame anyone in particular that might live in that area <G>).

We have a good group of bourbon folks in the area (and a few of us also do scotch) that get together occasionally and do some tastings. Make sure you monitor the board to see any get togethers (we also arrange some by PM and will do the best to include you).

BTW, while dusty pickings are slim, occasionally someone still gets lucky in the area. Recently there was a small find of 2002 Stagg by a local SB'er so don't get too discouraged.

Also expect new stock to be somewhat up in the air for the next few weeks due to Southern's entry into the distribution process and the shakeout between them and National (the previous big Indiana distributor) as to who handles what and which stores they favor sending the limited releases to.

Tom

Advanced Taster

Greetings....Good luck on the dusty hunting...
    Jeff...

I can learn to resist anything but temptation.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by PaulO View Post
    I would like to hunt dusties but haven't had much luck yet. At least I'm learning what to look for.
    Hey Paul. It has all been picked through but there is some stuff here and there. In particular you're likely to find some Old Forester BIB lying around, which is worth getting especially if it's older DSP KY414. Probably some Old Charter too. Get those if they're 'The Classic' 12yo, or older ones from Louisville. I've never ever seen a OGD dusty around here, even though every store carries it. Don't even bother looking closely at them. Old Fitz dusties have been picked up too, at the few stores that carry it- but like Tom said- you never know when the chain stores are going to pull something crazy out of their warehouse.

You have a nice selection open, given three of what's available around here (a wheater, rye whiskey, and BiB- though I don't care for Dant unless it's dusty). And yes, it's officially a hobby now that you signed up here. Before it was just

Hello PaulO. Greetings from a fellow Hoosier. I live in Illinois now, but was born and raised in the Indy area. A neighbor of yours actually. Beech Grove was my stomping grounds. Welcome to the site. Look, listen, learn and have a little fun. That's all there is to it. SB is a great place to learn about bourbon, make new friends, and have a good time. Cheers! Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Connoisseur

I didn't know about the disrtibutor changes, but that gives me more hope. Most of the time I have found anything that appeared old; it has been sitting in a warehouse a long time before it came to the store.

Guru

May I be the first to... Oh I guess I'm not.

Anyway welcome from another Indy ex-pat. I grew up on the Northside, just a five minute or so drive from where skunk lives now.

I make it down there frequently, so maybe we can catch a drink sometime too. See you around the board!
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Disciple

I'll go ahead and throw my introduction into this thread as well, since I'm also greeting everyone from Indiana. I am fairly new to bourbon, not just on this board. I would have a glass of WT 101 or Bookers every now and then, but I probably could have counted the number of bourbons I'd ever tried on my fingers.

About a month ago I went on the trail, and hit Beam, HH, MM, WT, 4R, WR, and BT. I fell in love with Blanton's on the trip, and have started adding to my home collection (stored safely in the freezer) since returning home.