Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sazerac Rye

Sazerac Rye

Hi all, has anyone tried a straight rye whisky from Kentucky called Sazerac Rye? its only 6 years old. i'm wondering if its good. how does it compare to canadian rye whiskies?

Enthusiast

Re: Sazerac Rye

Quote Originally Posted by velocci View Post
    Hi all, has anyone tried a straight rye whisky from Kentucky called Sazerac Rye? its only 6 years old. i'm wondering if its good. how does it compare to canadian rye whiskies?
    I use it in.. what else the "Sazerac" cocktail, it's good but a bit pricey... but I also haven't really examined it much (I am usually not much of a straight rye fan ... yet... possibly).

There are many other American rye whiskies that people talk about here on SB.

Canadian rye whiskies are sometimes monikered "brown vodka". This article by Spirits columnist Jason Wilson talks about it better than I could without sounding like I am repeating everything. whether you agree with his assertions is up to you.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...081003354.html

Is Sazerac good? some people like it some don't, taste is all subjective. If you prefer CDN whisk(e)y over others that's up to you. Your best bet is try a bunch of ryes and find out what you like.

Makes a solid Sazerac that's what I can tell ya and not because of the name.
    Visit the search for glory in the bottle: http://imbibehour.blogspot.com/
    My video reviews http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...16DDF465CBC112

Disciple

Baby Saz is quite unique in it's flavor profile. None of the other ryes taste anything like it.

so the 6yo is nicknamed baby saz? is it smooth? i love all whiskies, including canadian whiskies, so I'm interested in how it tastes compared to canadian whisky. so my main question is if its smooth since its only 6yo and is it worth the $45can price tag here.

Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    Baby Saz is quite unique in it's flavor profile. None of the other ryes taste anything like it.

Virtuoso

I'm a big fan of Baby Saz; in fact, it's one of my favorite ryes in its price range.

Canadian "rye" is an entirely different beast than American straight rye. The term rye is used generically to refer to Canadian whiskeys, whether or not they contain rye. Even the Canadians that include rye are blended whiskeys, that is, they blend flavorful rye whiskey with a higher proof, more flavor neutral whiskey. They tend to be much lighter and sweeter than American rye.

American straight rye is not blended with any neutral spirits. It must be at least 51% rye and the rest is usually corn and barley. It tends to be spicy and bold flavored.

Guru

It was a recent Bourbon of the Month. Check out this thread: http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...ad.php?t=14703

I like it, but not for $45.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

i was considering buying this bottle as an xmas gift. I decided to buy it. now i'm considering buying one for myself. but there is so many bottles out there that I want to get, but so little money. decisions decisions.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by velocci View Post
    i was considering buying this bottle as an xmas gift. I decided to buy it. now i'm considering buying one for myself. but there is so many bottles out there that I want to get, but so little money. decisions decisions.
    Before you know it your cabinet will be overflowing and if you are married your wife will wonder what is up with that! You will have to learn to deal with justifying the cost as opposed to say her shoes or purses etc.

Anyway, rye is a terrific whiskey, be sure to add the very well priced Rittenhouse 100 proof to your collection.

As Sku pointed out...there is no comparison between Candian rye and American rye. Both are good but different.
    Maybe the Canadians will correct that, it would be nice to see a traditional unblended rye whiskey from Canada.
    Last edited by Jono; 11-16-2010 at 14:28.

Guru

At 26 bucks I love Baby Saz. At 45 it can sit on the shelf.

Rittenhouse is not available here

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Before you know it your cabinet will be overflowing and if you are married your wife will wonder what is up with that! You will have to learn to deal with justifying the cost as opposed to say her shoes or purses etc.

Anyway, rye is a terrific whiskey, be sure to add the very well priced Rittenhouse 100 proof to your collection.

As Sku pointed out...there is no comparison between Candian rye and American rye. Both are good but different.
    Maybe the Canadians will correct that, it would be nice to see a traditional unblended rye whiskey from Canada.