Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Help recommend a Rye

i dont like the Baby Saz at all. its too sweet for my tastes, has a bit of a cherry elixir flavor that i dont care for.

has anyone had the Old Overholt Rye? i saw that in the store yesterday, and figured id go back to get it once i finally choke down this Saz.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by foxflyer5 View Post
    i dont like the Baby Saz at all. its too sweet for my tastes, has a bit of a cherry elixir flavor that i dont care for.

has anyone had the Old Overholt Rye? i saw that in the store yesterday, and figured id go back to get it once i finally choke down this Saz.
    If you like Jim Beam rye, you'll like Old Overcoat, err, Overholt. It's basically the same thing, assuming it's a current bottle.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

thanks. i like the WT Rye, but the JB Rye is fine enough. ill give the Old Overholt a try next time.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by harshest View Post
    Well I took the consensus recommendation and bought the WT. I have never had rye before and really liked it...
    You should give the JB rye a try. IMHO, not as good as the others, but if you like Rye, it is good enough to at least give a try (I don't mind it).

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by thanis View Post
    You should give the JB rye a try. IMHO, not as good as the others, but if you like Rye, it is good enough to at least give a try (I don't mind it).
    I do plan on giving it a try one of these days, as well as everything else on the shelf at the local liquor store.
    Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough. - Mark Twain.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by harshest View Post
    I do plan on giving it a try one of these days, as well as everything else on the shelf at the local liquor store.
    Same here. I'm hitting every whiskey (bourbon, scotch, etc). from the bottom up. The wallet is limited. I've slowed down the pace now that I found ryes. For now I keep a rye, a scotch, a bourbon, something to mix with, and something new. Going to take many years, hopefully I have time.

I'm saving the empty bottles as I go, not sure what I'll do with the empties yet.
    Last edited by thanis; 08-05-2010 at 13:58.

Enthusiast

I would start with WT Rye and Rittenhouse BIB. JB Rye and Overholt are OK but when you consider they are only 80 proof and the $ are roughly right similar. Also the JB product has a unique mustiness. Baby Saz is also a very worthy pour. All should be had for $25 or under.

If you can find it and are ok Laying out 60 bones for it Thomas Handy is very very good.
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough". Mark Twain

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by thanis View Post
    Same here. I'm hitting every whiskey (bourbon, scotch, etc). from the bottom up. The wallet is limited. I've slowed down the pace now that I found ryes. For now I keep a rye, a scotch, a bourbon, something to mix with, and something new. Going to take many years, hopefully I have time..
    I did this for a while, just had one bottle open with a couple more waiting when that one died. I found that having multiple bottles open at the same time really helps you understand the whiskey. I went a bit crazy and now have too many open, but 3-4 open bottles to bound around with at times can be pretty helpful!
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Guru

I'm going to be a negative bastard here and hate on the Handy. I really don't think it's worth the money. Yes, it's good, but even factoring in the barrel proof, it's overpriced compared to the Saz jr. Take that money and buy the VWFRR and still have enough left over for a bottle of Ritt BiB.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Trippah and Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I'm going to be a negative bastard here and hate on the Handy. I really don't think it's worth the money. Yes, it's good, but even factoring in the barrel proof, it's overpriced compared to the Saz jr. Take that money and buy the VWFRR and still have enough left over for a bottle of Ritt BiB.
    I'm really glad to read that. I'm not fan of Handy either and though we're in the minority, I'm happy to not be alone.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?