Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Re: Help recommend a Rye

I luv the Handy. You two are stoopid...
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Guru

touche.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Trippah and Admin

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    I luv the Handy. You two are stoopid...
    Says the guy who can't pull up his big boy pants and compete in the BTOTY.

(The proper response should have been: Good, more for me. )
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Enthusiast

Interesting conversation. It reminds me of when people ask me which is a better handgun: Glocl or Springfield XD. To be honest they are both good and it boils down to what is good for you.

I would add one more dimension that perhaps has not been added and that is availability. Wild Turkey is found on shelves all over the USA. Wild Turkey has got to be the most easiest to obtain Rye whiskey in the USA in general terms. I do see Jim Beam Rye in the yellow bottle quite a bit and Old Overholt too but not as widely distributed as Wild Turkey. In MY area (Southern Florida) that is about the most you will find in the average booze shop. You REALLY have to beat the bushes to find Sazerac ( I think I know what I could find a bottle in a boozer about 60 miles away) but it jis ust plain not on the shelves here in Homestead. I suggest this dimension should be considered as , for the most part, when suggesting Rye many will NOT have actually tasted the many small bottlings and harder to find brands.

Taster

Availability is a problem. I've tasted Rittenhouse BIB and really like it, but I can't find it anywhere. I think they've all been snapped up since the change from NAS to 3 year, but I can't even find the 3 year.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Doggerlander View Post
    Availability is a problem. I've tasted Rittenhouse BIB and really like it, but I can't find it anywhere. I think they've all been snapped up since the change from NAS to 3 year, but I can't even find the 3 year.
    Since when did Ritt BIB go to a 3 year age statement!?!

Trippah and Admin

Quote Originally Posted by nblair View Post
    Since when did Ritt BIB go to a 3 year age statement!?!
    Dunno...the bottles that I snagged in WVa in Sept were the standard NAS BiB.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Virtuoso

There is no such thing as 3yo BIB. BIB requires ageing for at least 4 years.

Virtuoso

If I were to rank my favorite, easy to find Ryes, I'd put Ritt BIB at the top.

Although I find myself agreeing with Scott (ox), Josh (josh), and smokinjoe about whiskey preferences as often as not, I find myself strongly disagreeing with them on the Handy vs Saz NAS front. Saz NAS is one of the worst tasting whiskeys I have ever endured, and I would rather be punched in the throat than drink it neat. It is amazing that something as delicious as Handy can come from the same mashbill.

Which is why taste is so amazingly subjective. I'll buy Handy over Stagg, seriously. With that comment, 90% of the site just added me to their "do not talk to that guy" list.
    That goes totally against the grain- yet I can agree with Josh about how incredible FRM09 is, and with Scott about the Ritt BIB, and with Joe about how easy, and enjoyable, and buttery OCPRSS can be to drink.

So to all of you newbies- Read as much as you want, and read as many ratings as you want, and don't be surprised if someone else's 99 is your 67. Or whatever. To quote some guy I know, "It's all good." Perhaps he's right.
    Last edited by ErichPryde; 10-16-2010 at 02:46.
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by MJL View Post
    Interesting conversation. It reminds me of when people ask me which is a better handgun: Glocl or Springfield XD. To be honest they are both good and it boils down to what is good for you.
    MJL, I would like to meet you and discuss pipes, whiskey, and firearms someday. I think the resulting conversation would be interesting. I'm a rarity- I am going to pick up a Glock 19 this spring, but I would own a 1911 in a heartbeat. I like both guns, for different reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by harshest View Post
    ...JBW is a great example, you can find tons of posts on how nobody likes it, but for me, I really enjoy it.

I have never had rye before and thought asking what everyone else likes was a good place to start. I think next I will give JB Rye a try, although it got poor reviews from the people who commented on this thread, it fits in my budget. Who knows I might like it.
    You may end up liking the Beam Rye. in my younger motor-crazed building days, a friend and I would imbibe lots of either JBW or JBR mixed with Barq's Root beer. I have a soft spot for beam rye, and if I had to build another motor tomorrow, I'd go buy a bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    ....Take that money and buy the VWFRR and still have enough left over for a bottle of Ritt BiB.
    EDIT: I was going to say something about how I thought VWFRR was over-rated, but then I went and poured myself some to verify. Dammit man! I love good ryes, and I'd buy another bottle of VWFRR. It was picked for a different profile than the typical rye-spice- the fruit is absolutely delicious here.

that being said, I'm the odd one out and would still take handy. If VWFRR was bottled at 107 though, It might have been a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    If you like Jim Beam rye, you'll like Old Overcoat, err, Overholt. It's basically the same thing, assuming it's a current bottle.

Hmm. that's like saying that the current Beam produced Old crow and JBW are the same thing. ouch.
    Last edited by ErichPryde; 10-16-2010 at 03:05.
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.