Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

BOTM 7/10: Rittenhouse Rye BIB

And now for something completely different............

I realize it's not a bourbon, but Ritt BIB has been brought up in several threads, and even in the gazebo from time to time. (Plus, it was suggested to me by a couple of members.) From what I can tell, there's not much middle ground when it comes to peoples preferences on this rye. It appears that most folks either love it, or hate it.

Anyway, let's here what you all have to say. As for myself, I may have to revisit this one. I bought a bottle of Ritt BIB a long time ago. The taste wasn't to my liking at the time, but my palate has changed a lot since then. I just might have to go over and raid Vosgar's bunker.

Cheers, and happy posting! Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Guru

Re: BOTM 7/10: Rittenhouse Rye BIB

Quote Originally Posted by fishnbowljoe View Post
    From what I can tell, there's not much middle ground when it comes to peoples preferences on this rye. It appears that most folks either love it, or hate it.
    I don't love it or hate it.
    But I'm not a fan enough of it to buy it. If your'e pouring then sure I'll drink it.
    I think it is like JTS Brown bourbon, most folks let the low price influence them to much.
    ovh

Irreverent One

I like it, but I always felt the rye didn't have a real strong presence (to me, OGD actually has a stronger rye flavor).

For the longest time it was priced at $14 here, and I'd buy it occasionally. However earlier this year the OLCC raised the price to within 50 cents of WT, so now I don't (I prefer the WT).
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Virtuoso

This one I visit from time to time and enjoy. Part of the issue is that It is actually of much BETTER quality than it was 3 or 4 years ago, and probably got quite a bit of bad press from that time frame (I'd guess). I definitely prefer it over Sazerac NAS- I feel like the Ritt is just a significantly more bold animal.

Rittenhouse is an interesting one: It's a "Pennsylvania" style rye that is distilled by Brown-Forman (Old Forester/Woodford) but sold by Heaven Hill. More interestingly, the label reads "bottled by continental distilling co, bardstown, KY." Continental was at one point actually a distillery that was located in Pennsylvania, but no longer functions.

The nose is definitely the strong point of this whiskey, very bourbon-esque (as Scott mentioned) in some ways, with a nice candied-nuts thing going on. The bottle I have actually reminds me somewhat of pecan pie! The palate entry is good, Somewhat dry with enough weight for you to tell it hasn't been excessively watered down. It's not as sweet as bourbon but it definitely has a nice taste. The finish is acceptable, perhaps a bit shorter than I'd like but considering what you pay for it, I can't complain!

It's good rye. In my opinion, definitely on even ground with both "baby saz" and Turkey Rye, and miles ahead of Jim Beam rye and Overholt.

I don't know how widely distributed it is, I can't seem to find it in Tucson and I don't think I could get it in OK, but it was available in KS. If you can find it near you, it will probably run you between 14 and 22 dollars, and if you want something new and perhaps a bit different to try, I'd strongly recommend it.

Other than being a decent inexpensive "neat" drinker, it makes a good old-fashioned, would probably make a good sazerac cocktail, and of course goes well with cola or ginger. "D
    Last edited by ErichPryde; 07-01-2010 at 17:00.
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

The Voshole

[quote=fishnbowljoe:I just might have to go over and raid Vosgar's bunker.

Sorry Joe, you can raid all you want but you won't find any. Finished it off a while back and haven't replaced it............yet. This is one I really like so it will find a home here again.

Gary
    "Bottom line: sometimes things work out this way in life. It doesn't matter how well you've planned; you're just f**ked, and that's that" - The Boss

Guru

I think it's a damn good rye, and I would even if it was $10-$15 more. I like it better than Saz. The Saz family seems too sweeet sometimes. Ritt seems to have more rye character. I have no idea of the mashbill or anything like that, just my tastebuds.

Good choice for a BOTM!
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Disciple

Big fan. It's my second favorite after Baby Saz.

I like it for the value and if it was $10 - $15 more I would not be as enthused about it. The price has gone up alot recently and at $30 - $35 I would pass.
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

GBS Member - 2011 Indoctrination

Connoisseur

Well it arrived in Maryland at $25 and my retailer passed. Instead they are selling the Bernheim Wheat at the recently lowered price of $30....think about the pricing of both 4 years ago!

Anyway, the Ritt BIB makes a very good Manhattan. For a Sazerac go with their 3 year old Pikesville...a spicy young rye.
    Dave G.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by ErichPryde View Post
    This one I visit from time to time and enjoy. Part of the issue is that It is actually of much BETTER quality than it was 3 or 4 years ago

It's good rye. In my opinion, definitely on even ground with both "baby saz" and Turkey Rye, and miles ahead of Jim Beam rye and Overholt.
    I do agree Erik, that it is much better now then a few years ago. In my personal opinion it is better now, than Saz junior and WT rye.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Connoisseur

My favorite rye. A good value too.
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.