Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: BOTM 7/10: Rittenhouse Rye BIB

I just saw in a whisky mag in Barnes & Noble that it had just won an award. It was pictured next to GTS. I think it listed WLW and a few others. So somebody must like the stuff. And that would namely be me> I almost always have a bottle of this in the house.

Here is Micheal Jasksons thoughts from Whisky Magazine #21.

Nose
    Rich dried fruits. Chocolate. Sweet peppers.
    Palate
    Clean, rich. Cocoa. Candied orange peels. Cinnamon. Nutmeg. Very spicy. Soothing.
    Finish
    Lingering dry spiciness.
    Comment
    A hundred American proof makes for a powerful whisky, but this is big and bold in flavour, too. I don't remember it being such a sensuous whiskey. A reborn giant? I'll look for it on Rittenhouse Square next time I'm in Philadelphia.

I certainly agree.
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough". Mark Twain

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by nor02lei View Post
    I do agree Erik, that it is much better now then a few years ago. In my personal opinion it is better now, than Saz junior and WT rye.

Leif
    You won't get any disagreement out of me about current Ritt vs. current Saz. however, I'd have to do a fly-by on the Turkey again before I say it's better than current turkey rye, because the last bottle of that I had I had a lot of fun with.
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

Enthusiast

Count me in the 'don't love it, don't hate it' camps. It's a very nice, serviceable Rye, and certainly a great bargain. That said, it isn't my go-to Rye.

What I really found to be a disappointment was the Rittenhouse 23 Year-Old. Really not enough there to tone down the harsh wood tannins...just plain astringent and nearly undrinkable. It pales in comparison (IMHO) to the likes of Van Winkle Family Reserve, Black Maple Hill 14.

Guru

I'm not much of a rye drinker but I do love this for the value it represents...
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Advanced Taster

I really like this rye. Spicy and robust, I always drink it neat. Although it is quite pricey down here in OZ ($66). Thats double the price of the Jim Beam Rye here. However its worth every dollar.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    I don't love it or hate it.
    But I'm not a fan enough of it to buy it. If your'e pouring then sure I'll drink it.
    I think it is like JTS Brown bourbon, most folks let the low price influence them to much.
    I've got about a quarter bottle left from two I bought for $11.99, just a little more than a year ago, at the now shuttered Sam's Wines & Spirits. I don't plan to replace them. It's mainly been used in Manhattan's, where the vermouth and bitters either compliments or masks the pine and eucalyptus stuff going on.

Connoisseur

I like it. I think it's a great value for the money. WT is as good or maybe just a hair better, but it's more expensive down here. I have some, and I'll probably buy more.

Disciple

There is ALWAYS one or more on my shelf. Under $20 where I'm at, and always available.

Apprentice

I haven't had any of the ryes thus far. Think I'll stop at my favorite Hot Springs liquor store this evening after work and see if they have Rittenhouse Rye.

jsbac

Connoisseur

Couldn't get my hands on any the 100 proof. But I did manage to acquire two bottles of the 80 proof. Will have to try it out later in the day. Looking forward to it.