Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Posts
    758

    Question Joshua Brook 8 year old 90 proof

    The label says bottled by Frank-Lin Distillers Products Ltd San Jose, CA. One case of this showed up at a local store a few years ago. Then I didn't see it again until earlier this week. It is an interesting bourbon. It has mild flavors that remind me of maple syrup, vanilla, and pecan pie. Old Rip Van Winkle also had something similar but not exactly the same. This Joshua Brook is a real curiosity to me. Does anyone know who made it?

  2. #2
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    12,617

    Re: Joshua Brook 8 year old 90 proof

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulO View Post
    The label says bottled by Frank-Lin Distillers Products Ltd San Jose, CA. One case of this showed up at a local store a few years ago. Then I didn't see it again until earlier this week. It is an interesting bourbon. It has mild flavors that remind me of maple syrup, vanilla, and pecan pie. Old Rip Van Winkle also had something similar but not exactly the same. This Joshua Brook is a real curiosity to me. Does anyone know who made it?
    The best answer is "probably Heaven Hill." If it says "Kentucky" on the label, that makes Heaven Hill slightly more likely as it eliminates Lawrenceburg, IN from contention. However, the truth about bulk whiskey sales and the Kentucky distillers is that nobody sells bulk except when they do. Heaven Hill does bulk sales to companies such as Frank-Lin as part of its regular business, mostly on long term contracts although they also do spot sales. Barton/Tom Moore was also in that business but Sazerac claims they no longer are. Everybody sells bulk when they have a little excess. That's their safety valve.

  3. #3
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Posts
    758

    Re: Joshua Brook 8 year old 90 proof

    I have had some KBD brands that were good, but reminded me a lot of Heaven Hill brands. This J Brook seems different. Maybe it's from Barton or someone else?

  4. #4
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    12,617

    Re: Joshua Brook 8 year old 90 proof

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulO View Post
    I have had some KBD brands that were good, but reminded me a lot of Heaven Hill brands. This J Brook seems different. Maybe it's from Barton or someone else?
    It could even be a mixture from a couple of different places. Brands like that are very catch-as-catch-can.

  5. #5
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Joshua Brook 8 year old 90 proof

    I have tasted Joshua Brook and differently branded bourbons from this company, and all share the mild, maple syrup-like taste mentioned. Clearly the company has and maintains a profile for its bourbons. It may well be from vatting the produce of two or more distillers. I'd say Heaven Hill is likely one of them judging by taste, because e.g., current EWSBs have that kind of profile (mild, even-tempered). Maybe the Brooks are from similar barrels mingled.

    Gary

  6. #6
    Guru
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Napoleon, MI
    Posts
    7,449

    Re: Joshua Brook 8 year old 90 proof

    Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    It could even be a mixture from a couple of different places.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    It may well be from vatting the produce of two or more distillers.
    That's what I say it is judging from the taste, it's like nothing I've had before and that's not a complment.
    ovh

  7. #7
    Guru
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas NV
    Posts
    2,098

    Re: Joshua Brook 8 year old 90 proof

    The juice is awful, but it's not good...I did get a nice Joshua Brook hat from my local liquor store free...and that's okay.
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

    Bob Marley.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year 107 Proof?
    By Geo in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 05-15-2005, 21:32
  2. Joshua Brook Bourbon
    By bourbonmed in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-14-2000, 07:32

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top