Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Advanced Taster

Re: "Bourbon by definition must be sour in nature"

Well, it's certainly true that you won't get much of that lactic flavor in the white dog.

Where the lactic acid comes in, or any organic acid for that matter, is during maturation. There's a pretty simply chemical reaction that takes place. Alcohol+organic acids+oxygen+time= esterification.

With my whiskies, you'll get a nice mild raspberry and strawberry aromas after about 6 months in the barrel. Using the same yeast and same grist, I never got these flavors without some lactic formation in the mash (making very clean 3 day sweet mash). Not exactly an experiment for publication in the MBAA Quarterly, but I'm fairly convinced of the difference.

And, of course, using the sour mash method, the same lactic acid is reintroduced to the mash for a second time, boosting the total amount.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by tmckenzie View Post
    There is one more when they are making rye, I consulted with them. Cascape Peak in Oregon. Bill really thinks he is helping, but I think that alot of people that have no idea about distilling look to him for instruction. And in my opinion, he does not know enough to be advising anyone. For instance, I have spoken to him about making traditional bourbon and he is just completly uninterested. He has done a lot to bring people together, but I think he promotes shortcuts too much.
    Well, it's true that he promotes using other people's beer and other practices, but he's just trying to get people started. Financially, it's tough to argue with this advice. From an artist standpoint, well, that's a different story. But I'm quite fond of Mr. Owens.

And there's more than a few people out there dispensing advice and classes who've been distilling or brewing or winemaking for only a couple of years. I'm in no position to tell people how to run their business, however.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Okay got it, thanks. This must explain the estery notes that many bourbons have.

Gary

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Leopold View Post
    With my whiskies, you'll get a nice mild raspberry and strawberry aromas after about 6 months in the barrel....
    Leopold, what are your whiskies?
    "It hasn't cured my broken heart, but it sure helps a lot."
    -Ernest Tubb

Advanced Taster

Our website is in the process of being updated to list our new releases, but:

www.leopoldbros.com

Mr. McKenzie's, who is also on this thread, has a shop in NY:

http://www.fingerlakesdistilling.com/
    Last edited by Leopold; 07-09-2010 at 08:37.