Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Novice

Van Winkle 12 Year Tastes Like Scotch??

Well, first I want to say hello to you all. I just joined the forum tonight, and would have joined ages ago if I had known that this forum existed. I was actually clicking the link to "Contact StraightBourbon.com" to request they put up a forum on their page, and on the page it took me to I found a link to a forum already in place. I'm glad to have found it.

I'm not an expert Bourbon taster nor am I yet a true Bourbon connoisseur, but I know clear well what a good Bourbon tastes like. I bought a bottle of 12 year Van Winkle Special Reserve tonight, and it tastes like Scotch. Now, as I said I am not an expert taster, but this tastes a lot like the few scotches I have tried. Why is that? Thanks for your input.

Novice

Re: Van Winkle 12 Year Tastes Like Scotch??

?

Enthusiast

I'm speechless!

Novice

lol, I'll take that as a neutral statement.

To rephrase my question, what about the actual makeup of Van Winkle Special Reserve is similar to scotches?

Brad

Novice

It has come to my attention that some of you have found this post offensive. I sincerely apologize for anything I may have said that was offensive, but I think that you all missed my point (maybe not). I am simply saying that the aforementioned Bourbon tastes more like Scotch than any other Bourbon I have tasted, and I'm wondering if anyone knows why?

Jeez guys, I appreciate my love for Bourbon as much as I appreciate air. However, during my day when someone asks why Oxygen is different than the air a person breathes I don't ridicule them nor do I push them away... I simply explain the vast differences, whilst still respecting everything that the questioning person has to offer. I had only expected the same respect from the people that may frequent this forum.

So, starting again... Does anyone know, specifically and chemically, why Van Winkle Special Reserve may taste a bit like Scotch to me?

With sincere regards,

Brad

I havent had a chance to try this particular bourbon yet so my initial reaction would be I have no earthly Idea. But I can say this with no regrets.....I have never tasted a bourbon that tastes like scotch or even comes close. They are in my oppinion two completely different taste profiles.

Logic might lead me to believe that you have a chemical makeup that for you, makes these two very different spirits taste the same or close to the same.

My first experiance with scotch was JB, my last experiance was with Dalmore 12 year. Big difference in flavors with the latter being very sweet and smooth in comparrison.

Personally for me the scotch has a sick medicine flavor compared to bourbon....even a low end bourbon. Others may have a better reply to your question.

Steve

Steve is right. As a reformed scotch drinker, I've tasted all sorts of single-malt scotch. I cannot find a scotch, that taste like bourbon. Maybe you're detecting a tannic taste. Single-malt scotch because of the peat always have a slight medicinal flavor, which could be tasted as tannic.
    mark

Enthusiast

>So, starting again... Does anyone know, specifically and chemically,
    >why Van Winkle Special Reserve may taste a bit like Scotch to me?

You're going to have to give us more information, especially concerning
    your experience with bourbon and scotch.

Perhaps the Van Winkle is the first bourbon you've ever had
    that is made with wheat instead of rye.

Perhaps the Van Winkle is the first bourbon you've ever had
    that is aged more than ~6 years.

Which bourbons do you have experience with?
    Which scotches do you have experience with?

When you say "tastes like scotch", do you mean "tastes like
    a cheap blend (e.g Clan MacGregor)?" or do you mean "tastes
    like a single malt (such as Glenmorangie)"?

When you say "more than any other bourbon I have tasted",
    does that include Maker's Mark? Stagg? Or is your experience
    mostly with, say, Ten High?

Tim

Novice

hahaha, no my experience with Bourbon is not only with Ten High.

I have enjoyed more than 50 different types of Bourbon's. Here is a small picture of my collection of bottles(54 of them last i counted):

I know that the picture is of poor quality, my webcam stinks.. But, at least you can see that I have had much more than Ten High. Though, I think that there is a bottle of Ten High up there somewhere.
    I post the picture, mainly, because of being told that some people thought I was a "troll", and I am far from such a thing.

Some of the better Bourbon's I have tried would be:
    Bakers
    Bookers
    Knob Creek
    Ezra Brooks 15yr Single Barrel
    Woodford Reserve
    Basil Haydens
    Evan Williams Single Barrel
    Makers Mark
    Elijah Craig
    and many more..

As far as scotch experience, I have absolutely zero. I have had a few different types, mostly high dollar I would expect, however I couldn't tell you what they were called for the life of me. Just have had them at gatherings and such.

Novice

Racer,
    I think you are probably correct. Thanks!