Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Open Bottles

Open Bottles

I did a little searching and found a couple of old threads about open bottles. I'd like to approach open bottles from a different point of view. Through chats, forums, and in person with other members, it seems a few/lot of us have quite a few open bottles. IMHO, there are basically three reasons for a person to have so many open bottles.

#1. Something brand new. Buy it, open it, taste it, put it on the shelf. Maybe keep drinking it. Maybe not.

Reason #1, leads directly to what I think are the two main reasons that some of us have so many open bottles.

#2. A bottle just doesn't taste that good. A bottle is opened. It's not very good. It's put on the shelf with a lot of other bottles that taste better. Why finish something that isn't that good, when you have others that are better?

#3. A bottle tastes almost too good, or it's something fairly rare. You want to savor it. Keep it around a while. You just can't seem to bring yourself to finish it.

So, what bottles do you have open because they are:

A. Not that good. Too hard to finish.

B. Too good, or rare. Don't really want to finish them.

Let's hear it.

As for me. My current choices are:
    A. Current Yellowstone, current Rebel Yell, Henry McKenna SB BIB
    B. Most all my Weller's, Van Winkle's, and BTAC

Hope we can have a little fun with this. Cheers! Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Virtuoso

Re: Open Bottles

#4 Don't drink in great quantities, but still want variety.

I would guess I drink 6-10 bottles a year, and for several years probably opened more than 20 a year. There are a lot of flavors I want to try now, not wait a few years until other bottles are drained.

I guess I could become a heavier drinker, but I'd rather not.

Roger

Connoisseur

Category A Open Bottles:
    Several BTEC releases

Category B Open Bottles:
    27 YO Willetts (SW)
    ORVW 15/107

Another category of open bottles:
    Open Bottles for visitors who want name brand drinks:
    Makers Mark (I would also have this one handy for when NeoTexan stops by)
    Woodford Reserve

Tom

Guru

A:
    JPS 17
    Willett Estate Reserve

B:
    PVW 23 SB.com SB
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Enthusiast

A+B= Hirsch gold foil..... Did I say that out loud.

I keep it for "Special Occasions" when I want to impress friends. I keep my PVW and Wellers for private celebration.
    Bourbon is sunshine held together by water....

Enthusiast

There's nothing on my bar that I won't drink for qualitative limits. If it's that bad, I'd have used it in Bourbon/sodas, cooking or gotten rid of it long ago.

And I'd have to say that there are no bottles on my bar that are 'off limits' due to scarcity. Bourbon is for drinking...not looking at. If I'm in the mood for, say a ORVW or Willett or Hirsch, etc, I'll pour a dram. And, provided my guest is a Bourbon fan, I'm willing to share anything I have.

There will always be an irreplaceable (or hard to replace) bottle, but I'd rather have the memory of the taste...not a partial bottle that I can't or won't enjoy when the mood strikes. If you're that fond of looking at bottles, you can always fill them with colored water when you're finished.
    Mat Garretson
    HIGH WEST DISTILLERY

Irreverent One

Quote Originally Posted by Rughi View Post
    #4 Don't drink in great quantities, but still want variety.
    Yep, most of my bottles fall into that category.

Quote Originally Posted by Rughi View Post
    I would guess I drink 6-10 bottles a year, and for several years probably opened more than 20 a year. There are a lot of flavors I want to try now, not wait a few years until other bottles are drained.

I guess I could become a heavier drinker, but I'd rather not.
    What he said, except my consumption rate is probably closer to 10-12 bottles per year.

But I do have some that fall into Joe's categories.

A. Buck, ORVW 10/107

The Buck was purchased to submit as a VBT (the sacrifices I make for this forum!). Whenever I get the urge for bourbon-and-Coke, this gets used. Should be gone by summer's end.

The ORVW is a cipher. I can only assume it's a bad batch/bottle. Too dry and woody. I occasionally vat it with VSOF, which works pretty well. I should try that with MM 46.

B. PVW 20, Saz 18 (2006), OC 10 (Belmont distilled), EWSB 1994, WTAS, BMH 18 rye, Weller 12.

The Weller 12 gets "special occasion" status because it's not available in Oregon; in fact, I'm pretty sure I bought the last five bottles sold in the state (see this post). I'm about one third of the way into bottle #4.
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by mrviognier View Post
    And I'd have to say that there are no bottles on my bar that are 'off limits' due to scarcity. Bourbon is for drinking...not looking at. If I'm in the mood for, say a ORVW or Willett or Hirsch, etc, I'll pour a dram. And, provided my guest is a Bourbon fan, I'm willing to share anything I have.

There will always be an irreplaceable (or hard to replace) bottle, but I'd rather have the memory of the taste...not a partial bottle that I can't or won't enjoy when the mood strikes. If you're that fond of looking at bottles, you can always fill them with colored water when you're finished.
    I don't believe that any of us are saying that "Category B" means look don't touch (If it did, the bottle wouldn't been opened in the first place). At least for me, these bottles are reserved for when I want that special taste or poured when friends who appreciate good whisk(e)y visit.

Tom

Connoisseur

The only bottle I really didn't care for is Old Rip Van Winkle 10. But I've got a plan for those kinds of bottles - I use them to spike my Evan Williams eggnog.

The ones I like to savor include Lot B and a couple of Irish and Scotch whiskies. Everything else I drink through random rotation - close my eyes and reach into the liquor cabinet and drink whatever literally comes to hand.
    Mark Edwards - Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

Irreverent One

Quote Originally Posted by MarkEdwards View Post
    Everything else I drink through random rotation - close my eyes and reach into the liquor cabinet and drink whatever literally comes to hand.
    In my liquor cabinet that could be a kitten.
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms