Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Open Bottles

Apprentice

Re: Open Bottles

A. Not that good. Too hard to finish.

JB's Red Stag. Yes, yes, I know. It was on sale, I'm new, there was a coupon, Mars was retrograde to Bourbonia, and stuff. And more stuff. But! Even though I place it in my "undrinkable" category of tasting notes, I look at it this way: whiskey (even this one) won't change in the bottle and if someone comes to my house who wants a bourbon and cherry-coke sort of drink, I'm ready! It will also make them feel right at home, having an open bottle, nearly full, just for them. So even though it's undrinkable to me it means that for someone else I'm ready to be a good host by having their preferred drink at hand. (This is called positive spin, btw.)

B. Too good, or rare. Don't really want to finish them.

WLW Special Reserve: I keep having to tell myself that (a) this stuff is regularly available at what seems a very, very reasonable price and that (b) I can go get it. I don't know if it's the attractive bottle, the fact I really love this bourbon, or if it just somehow seems truly special but it just feels like it's too good and should be rare. And from everything I read on SB, I know I've got so much more to look forward to than even this wonderful pour. it all makes me grin like an idiot.

To paraphrase some famous person, bourbon tasting seems like golf -- you don't have to be good at all to really enjoy it.

Cordially,
    Trace
    "Bourbon makes me happy." - T.T.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by barturtle View Post
    Hold on a cotton-pickin' minute...you people OPEN your bottles?
    Nope - I absorb the bourbon directly through the glass. That's how we do it in my dimension.
    Mark Edwards - Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

Disciple

I'm in the same "#4" boat as Roger and Greg but probably even worse -- I'll bet I have 40 open bottles and I finish off maybe 4-5 in a year. Even when I want to hold off, my curiosity for new tastes gets me (cf. Makers 46)

I also find it nearly impossible to finish off a favorite, especially if its a dusty classic. Invariably the last pour goes into a 50ml "for future reference".
    Kevin

"Clears up her head with bourbon/Cause beer is so suburban/And declasse for what it's worth"

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Trace Tippler View Post
    A. Not that good. Too hard to finish.

JB's Red Stag. Yes, yes, I know. It was on sale, I'm new, there was a coupon, Mars was retrograde to Bourbonia, and stuff. And more stuff. But! Even though I place it in my "undrinkable" category of tasting notes, I look at it this way: whiskey (even this one) won't change in the bottle and if someone comes to my house who wants a bourbon and cherry-coke sort of drink, I'm ready! It will also make them feel right at home, having an open bottle, nearly full, just for them. So even though it's undrinkable to me it means that for someone else I'm ready to be a good host by having their preferred drink at hand. (This is called positive spin, btw.)

B. Too good, or rare. Don't really want to finish them.

WLW Special Reserve: I keep having to tell myself that (a) this stuff is regularly available at what seems a very, very reasonable price and that (b) I can go get it. I don't know if it's the attractive bottle, the fact I really love this bourbon, or if it just somehow seems truly special but it just feels like it's too good and should be rare. And from everything I read on SB, I know I've got so much more to look forward to than even this wonderful pour. it all makes me grin like an idiot.

To paraphrase some famous person, bourbon tasting seems like golf -- you don't have to be good at all to really enjoy it.

Cordially,
    Trace
    Be sure to grab a Weller 12 and a Lot B when you get the chance. The WSR is a great beginners bourbon. By the way, you aren't related to Dirk Diggler are you?
    I come here because you people make me feel normal.

Enthusiast

To the question at hand:

None of these are bad, per se, but none light my fire; Platte Valley Corn Whiskey, Mellow Corn BIB, WTRB, JRPS, VWFRR, 1984 Old Forrester BIB, Johnny Walker Blue.

I just can't stand to watch these die: R/E Willet 6 year, Gold Vein Weller 107, 99,2000,2003 Weller 107, Weller Cent, ND OGD ca 1983, OFBIB, SW Weller 12, SW WSR.

My third category is; bottles I couldn't stand to empty, except that I have more. The GTS 2009 is at the top, WTKS, WLW, 2006 OFBB,
    I come here because you people make me feel normal.