Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Enthusiast

Re: Van Winkle Family Reserve 13 rye

@cowdery: Here in the Commonwealth, I've been enjoying the Abraham Bowman Pioneer Spirit Rye, which I believe is 12 years old, so that might scratch your itch for some good, aged rye.

A much more plentiful rye than the VWFRR here for us Virginia gentlemen, though it certainly trades at a premium.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dmarkle View Post
    @cowdery: Here in the Commonwealth, I've been enjoying the Abraham Bowman Pioneer Spirit Rye, which I believe is 12 years old, so that might scratch your itch for some good, aged rye.

A much more plentiful rye than the VWFRR here for us Virginia gentlemen, though it certainly trades at a premium.
    Bowman is a Sazerac product. Is it, in fact, 12 years old? Presumably it's the same whiskey as the Sazerac rye, though redistilled, aged and bottled in Virginia. (And I'm not sure about the first two, just the third.)

Virtuoso

The Bowman is not 12yo.... also it is not moving well according to my local store which moves a lot of bourbon. Pretty average rye IMO that commands a premium price.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by cigarnv View Post
    The Bowman is not 12yo.... also it is not moving well according to my local store which moves a lot of bourbon. Pretty average rye IMO that commands a premium price.
    I find both the bourbon and the rye to be uneventful and overpriced. I have a bottle of the SmB but have yet to delve into that.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Quote Originally Posted by cigarnv View Post
    Lest I want to take this thread off topic, it bums me out how little attention new products like this one get on the site these days. Especially a regional product like that I'd love to hear more about, see some tasting notes on it and such. Unfortunately I guess some of us are becoming the same way with information as we are with our bourbon (and Rye); hoarding it!
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Virus_Of_Life View Post
    Lest I want to take this thread off topic, it bums me out how little attention new products like this one get on the site these days. Especially a regional product like that I'd love to hear more about, see some tasting notes on it and such. Unfortunately I guess some of us are becoming the same way with information as we are with our bourbon (and Rye); hoarding it!
    The EBSG tried some Bowman rye last month side by side with some Saz Jr and the Sam's 10yo Saz Jr. I'd have to go back to my notes to put my thoughts together again. If someone started a thread maybe Lear, Ken and Dave would add their thoughts as well.

One point we really picked up on is how buried the word "rye" is in its packaging. BT could quickly swap out any other straight whiskey with very little labeling change.

Roger