Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Ultimate Beverage Challenge

Is anyone here familiar with www.ultimate-beverage.com It is the website for a tasting and ranking of all kinds of liquor. This tasting challenge took place at the Astor Center in New York back in March. i'll cut and paste the top of the whiskey list-I just want some feed back their winner and how it beat some of the most revered whiskey names on this board.
    USA & Canada: Whisky/Whiskey

Accolade ScoreSpirit Name Chairman’s Trophy WinnerExtraordinary, Ultimate Recommendation97George Dickel No. 12 10 yr old Tennessee Whiskey (USA); 45% abv, $17
    FinalistExtraordinary, Ultimate Recommendation95Sazerac Kentucky Straight 18 yr old Rye Whiskey (USA); 45% abv, $69.99
    FinalistExcellent, Highly Recommended94Woodford Reserve Distiller's Select Bourbon (USA); 45.2% abv, $32.99
    FinalistExcellent, Highly Recommended93Crown Royal XR Canadian Blended Whisky (Canada); 40% abv, $165
    Excellent, Highly Recommended93Buffalo Trace Kentucky Straight Bourbon (USA); 45% abv, $24.99
    Excellent, Highly Recommended93Four Roses Mariage 10 yr old Bourbon (USA); 54.8% abv, $79.99
    Excellent, Highly Recommended93Pappy Van Winkle Kentucky Straight Bourbon 20 yr old Bourbon (USA); 45.2% abv, $99.99
    Excellent, Highly Recommended93Parker's Heritage Collection Golden Anniversary Bourbon (USA); 50% abv, $150
    Excellent, Highly Recommended93William Larue Weller Kentucky Straight 12 yr old Bourbon (USA); 62.7% abv, $69.99
    Excellent, Highly Recommended92Bulleit Blue Label Bourbon (USA); 40% abv, $30
    Excellent, Highly Recommended92Evan Williams Single Barrel 2000 Vintage 10 yr old Bourbon (USA); 43.3% abv, $24.99
    Excellent, Highly Recommended92Four Roses Yellow Label Bourbon (USA); 40% abv, $18.99
    Excellent, Highly Recommended92Hirsch Selection Small Batch Reserve 4 yr old Bourbon (USA); 46% abv, $35.99
    Excellent, Highly Recommended92Wild Turkey Rare Breed Barrel Proof Bourbon (USA); 50.5% abv, $45

Guru

Re: Ultimate Beverage Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by Josh56 View Post
    Bulleit Blue Label Bourbon (USA); 40% abv, $30
    Bulleit Blue Label?
    Never heard of it, how long has it been out?
    ovh

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I can't imagine a bigger waste of time.

Guru

Not only a bigger waste of time but makes me suspect of the results. Dickel #12 beats out Pappy, WLW, Handy, etc.? I don't think so.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Bourbonian of the Year 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Josh56 View Post
    Accolade ScoreSpirit Name Chairman’s Trophy WinnerExtraordinary, Ultimate Recommendation97George Dickel No. 12 10 yr old Tennessee Whiskey (USA); 45% abv, $17
    ____ ____
    Barrel_Proof

Enthusiast

Having judged at all of the 'prestigious' wine events in this country and the UK, I can tell you that the results of these judgings are pretty much worthless. From an organizational / desire for accuracy standpoint, the best I've participated in were those held by the Beverage Testing Institute, but they also fell short.

Sadly, we live in a society that won't go to a movie unless it gets two thumbs up, won't go to a restaurant that doesn't receive four stars, and won't buy a bottle that doesn't merit 90 points or above. There's only one critic who counts, and that is YOU.

The good news is that the consumer's (and trade's) reliance on awards, scores, etc. seems to be at an all time low. Hope it keeps moving in this direction.
    Mat Garretson
    HIGH WEST DISTILLERY

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by mrviognier View Post
    Sadly, we live in a society that won't go to a movie unless it gets two thumbs up, won't go to a restaurant that doesn't receive four stars, and won't buy a bottle that doesn't merit 90 points or above. There's only one critic who counts, and that is YOU.
    Amen! I used to praise to high heavens the sub sandwiched that K-Mart used to sell, the menu at the Woolworth's lunch counter (showing MY age!), some of the food available at independent gas stations.

What is even sadder is that the people who market and distribute said foods stop making it available if the food DOESN'T win some kind of award(s). It seems to me that actual sales volume has little to do with it - I can't be the ONLY person who likes the foods I like...

Personally, I have NO idea what the critics have to say about the food I eat, the drinks I drink, the car I drive or the lifestyle I live. I just do and consume based on what I like. What my old Marketing professor called a marketer's nightmare (evil grin).
    Mark Edwards - Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by MarkEdwards View Post
    Amen! I used to praise to high heavens the sub sandwiched that K-Mart used to sell, the menu at the Woolworth's lunch counter (showing MY age!), some of the food available at independent gas stations.

What is even sadder is that the people who market and distribute said foods stop making it available if the food DOESN'T win some kind of award(s). It seems to me that actual sales volume has little to do with it - I can't be the ONLY person who likes the foods I like...

Personally, I have NO idea what the critics have to say about the food I eat, the drinks I drink, the car I drive or the lifestyle I live. I just do and consume based on what I like. What my old Marketing professor called a marketer's nightmare (evil grin).
    You need to get to KC and check out the food at the gas station at 43Rd and Mission. Oklahoma Joes. Unreal.
    I come here because you people make me feel normal.

Enthusiast

T Comp: No need to apologize...just thought I'd point it out.

Edo: Thank you for your kind words. As to your contest, I think you're either onto something or on something.

BBQ+Bourbon: When you're finished with KC, head down to Mississippi. Some of the best 'cue you'll have in your life is to be found at gas stations.
    Mat Garretson
    HIGH WEST DISTILLERY

Thanks Matt and everyone, particularly Edo, that was too much. it reminded me of a Simpsons episode where and image of Homer was used on the Super Terrific Fun Time Happy Hour. I think that would be the show for your contest. It's too bad these things are bunk cause newbs like me use them at face value to decide what to pick when standning in front of a wall of whiskey bottles. Not that I could afford to go get Pappy or FRM any old time anyway. On my budget Dickel is always an option, but I thought you'd get a kick out of that list.