Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Guru

Re: Apprehensive about opening a "good" bottle?

Quote Originally Posted by BBQ+Bourbon View Post
    I am getting less apprehensive about opening good bottles. I bought them to drink, and when I'm ready to open them, I do. I opened the R/E 6yo in celebration of losing my job. I'd open any bottle I have for anybody who would appreciate it. The rest of the bottle will remain and I will enjoy it....
    That's about my take on things as well. For the longest time I wouldn't open my rarest or most expensive bottles unless it was a very special occasion. But when my bunker grew to unreasonable proportions, I said enough of this nonsense, time to drink up. I've been cracking open a few seriously good bottles for select friends and then putting them on a special out-of-the-way shelf to finish off myself. I nip at them conservatively over time and enjoy them to the last drop. As others have said, you can't take 'em with you, so you might as well enjoy them now while you can.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
    Why do you need to "replace" it? That sounds more along the lines
    of a collector and not "just" a drinker.

So you want to have the unopened bottles in your "collection" (?)
    and never plan to open them? I can understand wanting to have
    "rare" bottles to perhaps save for a special occasion or to stockpile
    bottlings no longer being produced but to "save" a bottle of Bookers
    because you don't wanna replace it - I dunno.

I do have some unopened bottles and will probably let them stay that
    way, but if a friend/fellow board member came over and wanted to try
    it, I'd crack it open and worry about "replacing" it later. I'd suggest go
    ahead and open some and replace them as you can. Chances are you
    won't finish the bottle before it's replaced so it's a win-win.
    No, I'm no collecter. I just like good whisk(e)y, be it Bourbon, Scotch or Irish. I don't have anything that would be considered rare... just a few bottles of bourbon and scotch that are bit on the expensive side to replace. As for needing to replace it...don't you replace stuff as you drink it, if you like it?

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ebo View Post
    As for needing to replace it...don't you replace stuff as you drink it, if you like it?
    Sure. Like you, I sometimes try'n replace 'em before I drink 'em.

As I mentioned, I do have some unopened bottles but would
    gladly crack 'em should an occasion arise. The thread title is a bit
    different from "...replace stuff as you drink it". Using Bookers as
    the example, I'd say go ahead and open it and "replace" it as
    you're able, especially since it is easy enough to get another bottle.
    Of course, if it's a bottle no longer being produced, how long do you
    save it for? And why save it for so long? You can open it and then
    save it for the best of both worlds.
    John Q.
    Tennessee Squire
    Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva
    It won't be any cheaper than it is today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan
    Someone will pay it. Someone always pays it.

Enthusiast

You know, the apprehension about opening bottles for me is that someone will come over and see my stash, and then look to the open bottle and say, "I'll try some of that" and then you have the awkwardness of telling them that since they never drink bourbon and they want ice with it, that no, they can't drink any of my Pappy 20.

Herein lies the genius of the "velvet bag" that the Van Winkles (ok and Crown) ship with their bottles. If it's in the bag and open, this whole socially awkward situation never arises, and you don't have to feel like you're hiding away all of your stash, and yet you still get the satisfaction of seeing your precious, precious babies when you open the doors.

Guru

As I've mentioned before, my weakness in opening bottles has produced an open bottle count somewhere north of 50. I really do try to not open a new bottle but sometimes it's a losing battle. As others have stated, whiskey is for drinking and I like to try many different drams, thus my high open bottle count. What I find though is even if I open that "special" bottle, it will sit open for quite some time as I rarely drink the same thing twice in a row. I have bottles that are near empty that I opened 2-3 year ago and it's taken this long to get to the bottom. Now, if you don't have a lot of bottles open, then obviously you will go through it faster but again, I don't see the downside. Enjoy.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by dmarkle View Post
    You know, the apprehension about opening bottles for me is that someone will come over and see my stash, and then look to the open bottle and say, "I'll try some of that" and then you have the awkwardness of telling them that since they never drink bourbon and they want ice with it, that no, they can't drink any of my Pappy 20.

Herein lies the genius of the "velvet bag" that the Van Winkles (ok and Crown) ship with their bottles. If it's in the bag and open, this whole socially awkward situation never arises, and you don't have to feel like you're hiding away all of your stash, and yet you still get the satisfaction of seeing your precious, precious babies when you open the doors.
    - I hide lots of stuff in Pappy bags.

To me, and this is just my opinion; GREAT bourbon and GREAT cigars are to be enjoyed. With that said, my motto is "smoke em and drink em if you got em". To be more blunt... Hell, you may not be here tomorrow, what are you saving it for?

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by kyoung View Post
    To be more blunt... Hell, you may not be here tomorrow, what are you saving it for?
    The day after tomorrow

Advanced Taster

I have a similiar but opposite problem... I only open "the good stuff" for family/friends who enjoy bourbon or would like to learn about bourbon. I try to always have a backfill before opening...but sometimes you just can't find another bottle.

I had to actually TRY to get my open bottle count over 5...because once opened, its tough to pass up a good pour.

Lately, I've been taking pours by age in my open bottle collection and that has helped alot...

Rob

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Sure, I'll delay opening certain bottles. I just did this with the FR 100th, but I got a back-up yesterday, so I'll open one up tonight.

As a general statement (i.e. ).....If you bought it with your money...It's yours. You can do whatever the heck you want with any bottle you have, IMO. Set it on your mantel. Mix it with buttermilk. Pour it on the crabgrass in your lawn. Sleep with it. Sell it on E-Bay. Give it away. Do anything you dang well please, with it. Don't let anyone tell you that you aren't doing the right thing with it.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama