Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Bernheim Original

Anyone have any info or update as to the current state of Bernheim Original Kentucky Straight Wheat Whiskey? Are people still buying this stuff? When it was introduced, I remember some speculation/hope/rumor of an older aged version that may come at some later date. Any chance of this seeing the light of day? Conversely, any chance the whole thing may be discontinued? Are competitors watching this and planning their own straight wheats, or are they caught up in the flavored bourbon movement?

For what it's worth, I bought two bottles, one to drink and one to bunker. I haven't bought any more since mainly due to price. It's good, but I'm not sure it's $40 good. Their website has a suggested retail of $30, but I've never seen it available at that price. $30 seems about right and any "super premium" version would appeal to me in the $40 space.

Guru

Re: Bernheim Original

I see it around everywhere all the time, I think it made it's debut in 2005. The problem I have with it is it's quick finish, as soon as you swallow the taste is gone.
    As far as an older and/or cask proof wheat whiskey goes, HH said that the Parker Heritage Collection was going to be 4 in a series, 1 a bourbon, 2 a wheat whiskey, 3 a corn whiskey and 4 a rye whiskey.
    Maybe that's what you were thinking about, but these other's have never came out, probably with the critical and sales success of the 3 PHC bourbons they are on hold or cancelled.
    ovh

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by miller542 View Post
    Anyone have any info or update as to the current state of Bernheim Original Kentucky Straight Wheat Whiskey? Are people still buying this stuff? When it was introduced, I remember some speculation/hope/rumor of an older aged version that may come at some later date. Any chance of this seeing the light of day? Conversely, any chance the whole thing may be discontinued? Are competitors watching this and planning their own straight wheats, or are they caught up in the flavored bourbon movement?

For what it's worth, I bought two bottles, one to drink and one to bunker. I haven't bought any more since mainly due to price. It's good, but I'm not sure it's $40 good. Their website has a suggested retail of $30, but I've never seen it available at that price. $30 seems about right and any "super premium" version would appeal to me in the $40 space.
    I have actually been waiting several years for older and stronger straight wheat. I think the Bernheim stands up well compared to bourbons with the same age and proof.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Disciple

I like the stuff but agree that I would be much more inclined to buy it at $30.
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

GBS Member - 2011 Indoctrination

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DeanSheen View Post
    I like the stuff but agree that I would be much more inclined to buy it at $30.
    Then you're in luck, the Michigan state minimum went down by $10 a few months ago and now it's going for $29.99.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Disciple

Thanks for the tip Josh.
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

GBS Member - 2011 Indoctrination

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I like it and buy it from time to time. I have an open bottle now. I haven't heard anything about it one way or another. Maybe HH will put honey in it. (That seems to be their big thing these days.)

I am very fond of the Bernheim wheat whiskey to answer your question as to whether anyone else makes it, Dry Fly does see this post. http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...ad.php?t=12540
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

I flew back (to Australia) from New Zealand last night with two bottles in my bag. It's not available here, so I stocked up while I could. It's not available in our market, so I didn't mind paying $98 AU per bottle.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

There are a couple of micro-distillers making wheat spirits, a couple can even be called whiskey, but nobody else is making anything aged. (Bernheim is reportedly five years in wood.)