Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: Bernheim Original

I can confirm that it's a permanent price re-positioning that started the first of this year and has been rolling out, market by market, depending on existing deals and inventories. They lowered the price for the most basic of reasons, to increase sales. They recognize it is a difficult product for many people to understand so they think a $30 vs $40 price point will help gain trial and get more people to make the leap. This is not my conjecture, this is the word from Heaven Hill. I do think it's a good idea and $30 is probably the right price for what it is. I like Bernheim and know I'll buy it more frequently at that price.
    Last edited by cowdery; 07-30-2010 at 19:42.

Irreverent One

The OLCC dropped the price from $50.45 to $29.95 back a coupleorthree months ago, but they're bumping it back to $50.45 on August first.

I would ask them why, but like most professional bureaucrats they're very good at not giving straight answers (I'm still getting the run around on the deletion of WRMC Maple Finish from the August Price Changes list), so I don't think I'll bother.
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Enthusiast

When it was on the shelves in NC it was always $24.95. I recently acquired some clearanced at $19.95. It's still on the special order list for $24.95. I've got 7 bottles bunkered so I think I'm fine for a while.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by CorvallisCracker View Post
    The OLCC dropped the price from $50.45 to $29.95 back a coupleorthree months ago, but they're bumping it back to $50.45 on August first.

I would ask them why, but like most professional bureaucrats they're very good at not giving straight answers (I'm still getting the run around on the deletion of WRMC Maple Finish from the August Price Changes list), so I don't think I'll bother.
    The new price hasn't been rolled out everywhere yet. It could be that because of the way Oregon buys or the way they price, the new pricing hasn't gone through the pipeline yet. The earlier price cut may have been for inventory reduction and not related to the new lower wholesale price. It could also be a bureaucratic foul-up. They're good at that too.

One of the few good things, for us at least, about control states is that they generally are not opportunistic. They base their pricing on a formula, based on their cost, rather than judging what price the market will bear. That's why things like the BTAC tend to be cheaper in control states.

They also don't have the benefit of competition to help them determine the "right" price, the way merchants in uncontrolled markets do.
    Last edited by cowdery; 07-31-2010 at 14:55.

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

I cracked a bottle today with my Dad. It was his first taste and he enjoyed it a lot. For him (a scotch drinker), it was like a desert sipping whiskey. For me, it was everything I remembered from my first taste two years ago at the Sampler. I must admit, if it was available here, I'd always have a bottle on hand.

Guru

Since it was introduced, I've always had an open bottle on hand. Like Chuck and others, I enjoy it as a change of pace. I also seem to drink more of it in the summertime ----- it seems especially suited for hot days.

Since this has been on the market for five years, there have got to be some of the original distillations still in the barrel somewhere at HH. I'd loved to see how this tastes with some additional aging --- say a 10 yo.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Disciple

[quote= 10 yo.[/quote]

Yes john and 100 proof!

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Novice

I was surprised yesterday when I found the price had been lowered from $42 to around $25 at my favorite retailer. I could not resist and found it to be quite refreshing and as many have mentioned, a nice change of pace.

Virtuoso

It is under $25 in Virginia and gets down to $22 on sale.... Easy drinking and great for the friends who are not big whiskey drinkers...
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Trippah and Admin

This hit the regular Ohio list for September in the 28.00 range, IIRC.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?