Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: Bernheim Original

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    This hit the regular Ohio list for September in the 28.00 range, IIRC.
    That's what I'm talking about! Now for that 10 year, 100 proof version...........

Novice

The North Carolina ABC stores list Bernheim Original for $24.95. I have found it in a few of the stores, but not many.

My son-in-law and I each bought a bottle when we were visiting Louisville about 18 months ago. He liked it more than I did, but it certainly is not the worst $25 that I have ever spent.

Advanced Taster

Like Cam said its not regulary available in the Australian market, but I grab a bottle when I can. I like it !

Enthusiast

I just had a dram of Bernheim Wheat after a dram of Rebel Reserve, which I thought would be interesting, since they are both distilled by Heaven Hill (the Rebel Reserve is basically Old Fitzgerald juice sold to Luxco for separate aging).

I don't know if my constant sipping of Scotch has ruined my palate for American whiskeys, but I could not taste a huge difference between the two. I keep hearing how the Bernheim is supposed to be a very sweet whiskey, but, to me, it tasted quite spicy and bourbon-y.

Am I doing something wrong?
    "Suppose he's got a pointed stick!?!"

- Eric Idle, Monty Python's Flying Circus

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

I was on Spec's (large Houston retailer) website and they had Bernheim listed for $24.58 cash price. Stopped by store today and it was on shelf for $37.xx. I mentioned the difference and the buyer was called - shelf was remarked to match web site. My guess is the price decrease is just now hitting Houston and this will be permanent price.

I bought a Bernheim Wheat, Rittenhouse Rye 100, and EC 12 - out the door at $76.51 less the $15 rebate Ed posted. Not a bad deal.

Trippah and Admin

Quote Originally Posted by boss302 View Post
    I just had a dram of Bernheim Wheat after a dram of Rebel Reserve, which I thought would be interesting, since they are both distilled by Heaven Hill (the Rebel Reserve is basically Old Fitzgerald juice sold to Luxco for separate aging).

I don't know if my constant sipping of Scotch has ruined my palate for American whiskeys, but I could not taste a huge difference between the two. I keep hearing how the Bernheim is supposed to be a very sweet whiskey, but, to me, it tasted quite spicy and bourbon-y.

Am I doing something wrong?
    Yeah, you are listening to people making faulty assumptions.

It has less corn than every bourbon on the market and corn makes a bourbon sweet, not the wheat. I find it to be biscuity with layers of spice and not really sweet at all.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Enthusiast

"biscuity" is something that I find in this as well. Love having this on hand.

For some reason CT always has it priced close to $50. I won't buy it at that price, especially when I can order it online for under $30.
    -Kevin

"Why? Because it's delicious!"

Bourbon always did make me feel like a Giant.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Heaven Hill has definitely dropped its prices consistent with a $30 price point, so if Connecticut is maintaining the higher retail price they're ripping you off even more than usual. (Well, not you, since you won't pay it.)

Guru

Time to check my local again to see if they are following the new pricing. Last time I looked Bernheim was still in the $40s.

Virtuoso

I spoke to a Bernheim rep at a tasting last April and he mentioned the price would be dropping but I haven't seen that happen around Chicago yet.
    "Brownest of the brown liquors..so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you? But I'm in the middle of a trial!" L. Hutz