Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WKY newb

Novice

WKY newb

I'm from the western portion of this great bluegrass commonwealth. I am new to the forum but not really new to bourbon. However I am new to bourbon appreciation. Currently I have the following bottles in my collection:

Buffalo Trace
    Maker's Mark
    Old Forester Antique
    Old Weller Signature
    Bulliet Bourbon
    Maker's 46

I am looking for a "primer" so to speak in the appreciation of bourbon. I have over the course of my life tried several of the cheaper bourbons, especially during my fraternity days. I'd like to stay within the state of Kentucky for my introduction to bourbon appreciation. I am planning on picking up some Four Roses Single Barrel this Friday. I currently live in a dry county so I have to travel a bit to pick up some liquid gold so I would like to pick up some less expensive bottles along with the Four Roses this weekend.

Trippah and Admin

Re: WKY newb

Welcome to SB, you certainly have come to the right place.

Cheap KY bourbon that is worth drinking? We can do that!

Look for any of the Heaven Hill bottlings with that says BONDED on the label and also Very Old Barton Bottled in Bond.

If you're looking to explore the hidden gems on the mid to low shelf, you can't go wrong there.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Novice

I'm planning on purchasing one mid range bottle and one low range bottle per paycheck. Every two weeks. Figure that won't hit my pocketbook hard and will allow me to build up a little stash and find my niche.

Disciple

Welcome aboard. It may be more than what you want to spend at first, but I've been serving Blanton's to non-bourbon drinkers with a lot of success. 750 ml is about $55 here in Indiana. I have seen smaller bottles out there as well.

Advanced Taster

Welcome! My picks for some good value bourbons you should pick up are Wild Turkey 101 (ignore the 80 proof version) and Evan Williams Black Label.

Quote Originally Posted by hannibal View Post
    Old Forester Antique
    Old Weller Signature
    Well, you either found some very rare items or, more likely, were typing too fast due to all the excitement here at SB.com. You do mean Old Forest Signature and Old Weller Antique don't you? I love the OWA, but have not seen OF Signature in these parts.

Keep us updated on your bourbon "journey."
    -Matt

Whiskey's fer drinking, stamps are fer collecting.

Novice

Yeah, that's actually what I meant. I opened the Old Forester tonight and had a glass. I actually enjoyed it more than most I've had.. The Buffalo Trace is an old friend that we found when needing budget bourbon for bourbon and cokes that didn't taste like gasoline.

The Voshole

Have to agree with Scott - anything with "Bonded" in it's name in KY is going to be good. You have some options the rest of us don't have.

Enjoy!
    "Bottom line: sometimes things work out this way in life. It doesn't matter how well you've planned; you're just f**ked, and that's that" - The Boss

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Vosgar View Post
    You have some options the rest of us don't have.

Enjoy!
    Great bourbon, bad education.

Actually sounds fair enough to me. Gotta love the bluegrass state.

Connoisseur

Welcome Hannibal, the Weller Antique and OF Signature are two particular favorites of mine. Worth trying and easy to find are Wild Turkey 101, and Old Grandad (bonded or 114). Anything that says bottled in bond is worth a try. Keep in mind that companies have multiple versions of what starts out as the same juice. Differences in price can be due to age, proof, single barrel... So if you find some bottom or mid shelf bourbon you like, then you can look for the fancier version. Have fun.

Advanced Taster

Do remember that Blantons is a single barrel offering, and while one may be the cats ass, another could be so-so. Just something to keep in mind. Welcome to the boards! I feel sorry for your wallet...

Jake