Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Re: BOTM 8/10: Weller Centennial

Quote Originally Posted by StraightBoston View Post
    I used to know a shop with a decent-sized stash of dusty-ish Frankfort bottles. I might have to see what they still have and set up some trades!
    (deleted)

Sorry, misunderstood your post.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Rughi View Post
    I don't know what part of the Bay Area you're in, but there's a fairly low level in this area of bourbon knowledge amongst retailers. Plus, Fitz and Weller have never been the major labels that they are in, say, Texas. Most local small retailers didn't grow up with any sort of cocktail culture, much less a bourbon culture.
    I've been noticing this "low level" of which you speak. It's sort of sad, but if it means more good bourbon for those who want it, it may not be an entirely bad thing!

If you want someone who talks bourbon and rye, go see our friend Ed at Ledger's Liquor in Berkeley. He networks with enthusiasts like us to be the first with new and most interesting products to stock, as well as collaborating on barrel purchases.
    Thanks for that -- several people have recommended Ledger's to me and next time I'm Berkeley I will be stopping by. I found Jackson's in Lafayette and they have a very good relationship with BT/Sazerac. Picked up a bottle of WLW while I was there. They were also the only ones that were familiar with the Centennial issue and agree they wish it was still made as they always sold out of it a day or two after it arrived.

Cordially,
    Trace T., looking forward to, perhaps one day, actually tasting the Centennial.
    "Bourbon makes me happy." - T.T.

Disciple

Sipping on one of these in honor of the DBOTM. (Dusty Bottle of the Month)

Tasty and sad that it's gone, unless you want to water down some WLW.
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

GBS Member - 2011 Indoctrination

Disciple

Sipping on a Frankfort Cent pour now...next up is a pour of Louisville Cent in celebration of BOTM...hopefully I'll be able to find one of these at a store someplace in August!
    You can find me in chat most nights on days ending with the letter y!

The Voshole

Mine is a Frankfort and I love it. Now I have to find a Louisville to go along with it!

Gary
    "Bottom line: sometimes things work out this way in life. It doesn't matter how well you've planned; you're just f**ked, and that's that" - The Boss

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Trace Tippler View Post
    ...I found Jackson's in Lafayette and they have a very good relationship with BT/Sazerac. Picked up a bottle of WLW while I was there. They were also the only ones that were familiar with the Centennial...
    Jackson's is under the same ownershop or in some other way teamed up with Monument in Concord. They used to do barrels of Centennial, ORVW/Pappy 15, ORVW 10 and a couple others. In the north bay, Jayvee in Napa has done various BT/VW barrels. Other good stores include Beltramos, D&M and K&L.

I talked with the Jayvee buyer about 3 years ago, when he was excited about doing HH barrels. If memory serves, it was EC12 and EC18. I don't recall seeing any barrel purchases of HH there, or elsewhere, though.

Roger
    Last edited by Rughi; 08-02-2010 at 21:13.

Enthusiast

I'm going to have a pour of this L'Ville Centennial now. MMmmm mmm good.
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Advanced Taster

Opened my Louisville Centennial and it was gone a week later. Best bourbon I remember ever having.

Enthusiast

I would put the Louisville sample that Bob sent me against any bourbon. I had an ORVW 15/107 last night, and as good as it was, it wasn't distinctly better than the Louisville Cent in my opinion. The early Frankfort bottle I have open is clearly a step below Bob's bottle, but still stellar.

I'll have a swig of the Frankfort bottle this evening.
    I come here because you people make me feel normal.

Guru

Darn it Joe, you are going to force me to open a couple of Weller Centennials. I've compared the Louisville to Frankfort in the past and I recall both as excellent pours, I'll have to refresh my memory.

What more needs be said other than thanks Joe for choosing this BOTM

Will