Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: BOTM 8/10: Weller Centennial

Quote Originally Posted by WsmataU View Post

I guess my BTAC WLW is as close as I'll come to this legend.
    Life could be worse my friend.
    Oh, btw, if it is the '09 Larue, then hit that thang with some water.
    ovh

Quote Originally Posted by Halifax View Post
    That makes 2 of us...
    Rod, I'll take care of that. I'll get some in the mail to you next week sometime!
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Connoisseur

^ Sweet! Thanks a million!!!

Guru

Well, time flies, it's almost the end of the month and just today I open not one but two bottles of Weller Centennial. (Opened both without breaking either cork.) The primary differences between the two bottles one had a Frankfort label with a UPC code of 88004 and an 8 on the bottom of the bottle while the other had a Louisville label with a UPC code of 88076 and a 4 on the bottom of the bottle.

Set up a small tasting using two identical tulip shaped glasses. Brushed my teeth and did all the dental care like a dental hygienist and when to work.

First there is no spectral difference between the two bottles. Comparing them using different backgrounds I can't detect any difference in color. (I wish I had access to a scanning spectrophotometer to determine analytically if there is any difference but I don't.) Tasting: pure enjoyment, similar to when I did this in the past any difference between the two bottles that I sampled is difficult to find. Same nose, taste, feel, and finish. First class enjoyment.

Perhaps someone else or I at a different tasting may find some differences but this evening I could not.

I find this to be either good news or my inability to discriminate.

Will

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Special Reserve View Post
    Tasting: pure enjoyment, similar to when I did this in the past any difference between the two bottles that I sampled is difficult to find. Same nose, taste, feel, and finish. First class enjoyment.

Perhaps someone else or I at a different tasting may find some differences but this evening I could not.

Will
    I never had the chance to taste them side by side but thought they were pretty much the same too so I'm with you on my inability to discriminate. I've only got a few pours left of any Centennial, a Frankfort, and I'm not happy about that.

Guru

I've had some L'ville Centennial and one was like a Brach's butterscotch hard candy.
    ovh

Quote Originally Posted by Special Reserve View Post
    Well, time flies, it's almost the end of the month and just today I open not one but two bottles of Weller Centennial. (Opened both without breaking either cork.) The primary differences between the two bottles one had a Frankfort label with a UPC code of 88004 and an 8 on the bottom of the bottle while the other had a Louisville label with a UPC code of 88076 and a 4 on the bottom of the bottle.

Set up a small tasting using two identical tulip shaped glasses. Brushed my teeth and did all the dental care like a dental hygienist and when to work.

First there is no spectral difference between the two bottles. Comparing them using different backgrounds I can't detect any difference in color. (I wish I had access to a scanning spectrophotometer to determine analytically if there is any difference but I don't.) Tasting: pure enjoyment, similar to when I did this in the past any difference between the two bottles that I sampled is difficult to find. Same nose, taste, feel, and finish. First class enjoyment.

Will
    Great post Will!

I've been lucky enough to try and/or own several different bottlings of Weller Centennial. (Many thanks to everyone that had a hand in this. You know who you are. ) Given my love for all things Weller, I've never had more than one Centennial open at a time though. While I believe there may be minute differences in the different bottlings, I think you pretty much summed it up when you said, "First class enjoyment." Regarding your last statement, I think its good news. It's hard to discriminate even the least bit, when it comes to something so good. Like my signature says, "I never met a Weller I didn't like." Thanks Will. Well done. Cheers! Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Virtuoso

I haven't hit the Centennial in quite awhile and think i need to revist it. I have L'ville bottle thats pretty damn good if memory serves me right.
    BT still has some good wheaters somewhere because I've recently had a OWA bottle that was nearly as good as the Centennial.
    "Brownest of the brown liquors..so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you? But I'm in the middle of a trial!" L. Hutz

Disciple

I took an extremely small pour out of a Frankfort Weller Centennial mini sent to me by a fellow SBer. First Class Enjoyment is a very good explanation of my encounter. Thank you Will for summing this up so eloquently.

I'll make it my duty to drink the rest, with notes, before the month is up.

Virtuoso

I have 6 bottles of Julio's 13 yr left. This one is in my top 5 for sure. I'm sure they didn't just throw the brand away as some have alluded, we will continue to see it in the BTAC WLW and probably bottled by the Van Winkles and for a much heftier price. To think I paid around $25 per bottle for mine.... I should have bought the entire store!!!
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!