Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: BOTM 8/10: Weller Centennial

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    I've had some L'ville Centennial and one was like a Brach's butterscotch hard candy.
    That's an apt description that jives with the bottle I tasted. I'm having an early Frankfort from a half-empty bottle right now. It's fantastic bourbon that hides it's alcohol well. The nose takes some time to develop in the glass but it's a very rich, velvety and tasty pour.

Having had the Louisville bottle, I can say it's clearly better to my taste. The nose is far more complex and interesting and the taste is just out of this world. The Louisville pour I had tasted like an SW product, whereas the Frankfort does not.

That said, I have never and will never pass a bottle of Centennial, regardless of vintage.
    I come here because you people make me feel normal.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by BBQ+Bourbon View Post
    That's an apt description that jives with the bottle I tasted. I'm having an early Frankfort from a half-empty bottle right now. It's fantastic bourbon that hides it's alcohol well. The nose takes some time to develop in the glass but it's a very rich, velvety and tasty pour.

Having had the Louisville bottle, I can say it's clearly better to my taste. The nose is far more complex and interesting and the taste is just out of this world. The Louisville pour I had tasted like an SW product, whereas the Frankfort does not.

That said, I have never and will never pass a bottle of Centennial, regardless of vintage.
    I would agree with your assessment here Matt...I have both a Louisville and a Frankfort open and to me there is a clear difference in the bottling. The Frankfort has a "nutty" flavor to it where the Louisville has more brown sugar and caramel to it...both good but definitely different IMO. I have not and most likely also will never pass up a bottle of Cent as the Louisville is in my top 5 and the Frankfort is in my top 10.
    You can find me in chat most nights on days ending with the letter y!

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by fishnbowljoe View Post
    Through the kindness and generosity of some fellow members, and a little luck while dusty hunting, I've been fortunate enough to taste six or seven different bottlings of this wonderful bourbon.
    I resemble some of those remarks...

I'm down to one bottle and I'm gonna make it last for a while. Damn fine bourbon.
    ____
    Chris

Guru

This brand has just the right amount of everything, nose, body, palate, round and full, it achieves a balance that I have rarely experienced. Wish I still had some.

Enthusiast

I am so lucky to have come across two bottles of this (Frankfort).

I had several pours of it last night... it was just suppose to be one pour. This bourbon has got me miffed. It is so GOOD! Why would they put an axe to a gem like this?

Thick is a great way to explain this, sweet in the best possible sense of the term. Every sip that perfect sweetness lingers and when it does fade you just want to let some more roll over your tongue.

At the present being, I have shot of an email to BT asking them to reconsider bringing this back as it would server a great niche in the wheated world, priced between the SR/OWA/WL12 and the Van Winkle/WLW.

I know, silly to think an email would do anything, but I always try to voice my opinion, you never know. Back in the beer world, a large number of us made a big enough stink, for long enough, to get Stone to re consider coming to CT, and eventually they did bring their products to us.

Tasting this last night prompted me to have a taste of Weller 12. I can't see this being the same whiskey. Weller 12 is thinner and has some fruitier notes. The only thing I have had that reminds me of the Centennial is, well ... WLW.

This week, I plan on some hefty dusty hunting. Cheers!
    -Kevin

"Why? Because it's delicious!"

Bourbon always did make me feel like a Giant.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by chefnash51 View Post
    The only thing I have had that reminds me of the Centennial is, well ... WLW.

This week, I plan on some hefty dusty hunting. Cheers!
    That is why they discontinued it.....

age it a bit longer and sell it for 3 times the price of the centennial.
    Cheers,

Scott

Reality is an illusion created by a lack of alcohol.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by birdman1099 View Post
    That is why they discontinued it.....

age it a bit longer and sell it for 3 times the price of the centennial.
    Yep, but thats why I love WLW.

Ahh, if only I had gotten in the game earlier I would have a basement filled with Centennial and ER 10/101.
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

GBS Member - 2011 Indoctrination

Like I said when I made Centennial the BOTM, I was surprised it hadn't been done in the past. I know some of you may get tired of my "three bears" analogy(s), but Centennial is one that holds true to that reference. It's not too smooth/sweet, or too hot/spicy. It's just right. I know that for all intensive purposes, there's no such thing as a/the perfect bourbon, but Centennial comes pretty close. IMHO, it has just the right amount of age, proof and flavor. A true classic. If only..................(big sigh) Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Guru

With Centennial they just got it right and I doubt we will again see the like at anywhere near the price.

Connoisseur

I have a question about Centennial. Was it ever available in bottle sizes other than 750 or 50ml? Just curious, thanks.