Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: BOTM 8/10: Weller Centennial

It's all Joe's fault....I opened a Julio's Centennial (13yr) and geez I'm glad I did. Delicious. This stuff is thick, giving a very nice oily coating to the side of the glass. Finish is long, flavorful and ends slightly tannic.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Virtuoso

I actually killed the bottle of Weller Cent that I was nursing in honor of this BOTM. Good stuff for sure.

I am always surprised by the complexity of this. Lots of good wood notes, but not just oak flavors -- I tasted some sweet maple in my last glass. This is a "thick" bourbon that leaves you feeling very satisfied. It is sweet, but not in a syrupy way. Good stuff.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Quote Originally Posted by Special Reserve View Post
    Darn it Joe, you are going to force me to open a couple of Weller Centennials. I've compared the Louisville to Frankfort in the past and I recall both as excellent pours, I'll have to refresh my memory.

What more needs be said other than thanks Joe for choosing this BOTM

Will
    Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva View Post
    It's all Joe's fault....I opened a Julio's Centennial (13yr) and geez I'm glad I did. Delicious. This stuff is thick, giving a very nice oily coating to the side of the glass. Finish is long, flavorful and ends slightly tannic.

What can I say?

I opened one a couple of weeks ago, and I was having a pour while going through the past BOTM's trying to come up with one for this month. Like I said, I was totally surprised that Cenennial had yet to be a BOTM. I actually went back through the list two or three times just to make sure. It's gotten to the point with me, that I keep my Centennials tucked away in a hard to see part of my cabinet. That way I wont be as tempted to open another one. Out of sight, out of mind? NOT! Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by kickert View Post
    I actually killed the bottle of Weller Cent that I was nursing in honor of this BOTM. Good stuff for sure.

I am always surprised by the complexity of this. Lots of good wood notes, but not just oak flavors -- I tasted some sweet maple in my last glass. This is a "thick" bourbon that leaves you feeling very satisfied. It is sweet, but not in a syrupy way. Good stuff.
    Yes and Yes. These are great descriptions of what makes Weller Centennial so exquisite. I find the sweetness is perfectly balanced with spicy wood notes that create a dryness quite unique for juice this sweet.

Virtuoso

I didn't even realize you had used the term "thick" one post before me... must be a recurring theme.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

This was the bourbon that reinvigorated my interest in finer bourbons in the late '90's. While I moved on to other favorites over time, this one is always a sure fire winner. I need to dig one out of the bunker and join the discussion.

Randy

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by kickert View Post
    I didn't even realize you had used the term "thick" one post before me... must be a recurring theme.
    Just means our respective tasters are in working order.......
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Virtuoso

Just means our respective tasters are in working order.......
    Either that or they are both broken

Guru

This thread has caused a weakness in me and I have looking over the WLW Cen bottles in the bunker to see if I want to open one.
    But I stayed strong because I have eleven open bottles now and that's a lot for me.
    So, I opened up a WLWeller 12yo selected by Binny's.
    I love the nose, it is multi layered, several different aromas over a few minutes time and you don't want to stop.
    But the taste is a letdown after the nose, thin is the first thing that comes to mind especially after all this Centennial talk. No the term thick can't be attributed to this bourbon, thin, and I'll say smoothe but that isn't a positive.
    Medium finish and that's better than none.

Cen was 10yo 100prf, 12yo is that and 90prf.
    But judging from the taste they are not the same whiskeys. I think 12yo is the same as OWA and SR.
    The Centennial is from another batch, it's just to rich and deep to be related. I suppose BT is using it for WLarueW and I haven't run the numbers but getting $65 for barrel proof vs $38 for 100 proof doesn't seem like they did the profits much better if any at all.
    As I said eariler, the WL Weller Centennial is becoming a ledgend.
    ovh

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by StraightBoston View Post
    I used to know a shop with a decent-sized stash of dusty-ish Frankfort bottles. I might have to see what they still have and set up some trades!
    Well, put me in the group of "wanna -try" and while I'm at it I'll get in line for any that are willing to trade. In the mean time I guess my BTAC WLW is as close as I'll come to this legend.
    Bourbon is sunshine held together by water....