Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Introduction from Chattanooga, TN

New to the forum (obviously), recently returned from the Bourbon Trail, which opened my eyes to the world of good bourbon.

Thought I would say hello and let everyone know I have enjoyed there insightful commentary the past couple of weeks since discovering this forum.

Re: Introduction from Chattanooga, TN

Welcome aboard, The bourbon trail is a lot of fun and very informative. What were your favorite things about it? and your favorite distilleries? Tell us what have you tried and liked and not liked and why. I hope you enjoy yourself here. If you have any questions ask away we like questions. Hopefully you'll make some new friends here, join us in chat it's the Gazebo on the top of the main forum page. Most of all have fun.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by p_elliott View Post
    Welcome aboard, The bourbon trail is a lot of fun and very informative. What were your favorite things about it? and your favorite distilleries? Tell us what have you tried and liked and not liked and why. I hope you enjoy yourself here. If you have any questions ask away we like questions. Hopefully you'll make some new friends here, join us in chat it's the Gazebo on the top of the main forum page. Most of all have fun.
    We hit all the distilleries in one day, which was stressful to say the least. Makers and Woodford were the tours we took. We tasted at Wild Turkey, Wooford, and Beam. The trip was a belated Fathers Day gift that my younger brother and I planned out. We ended up back tracking from Beam to Bardstown and staying in the Old Tavern and going to a tasting with the colonel at the Chapeze House. Overall it was a very informative and fun trip. The tour at Woodford was the highlight of the trip for me. The history and depth they went into really blew me away. I'm new to bourbon but Woodford has always been my favorite, so that's the one I was originally really excited about.

Overall it opened my eyes to the world of bouron. I was very ill informed up to going on the trip. Since, I've been lurking around here and doing research on the web on what exactly I should try from here on out.

Since the trip the obsession has slowly spiraled out of control. I've acquired, in my mind, some pretty good bourbon. Nothing like the vintage and rare stuff I read about on this forum, but rare to me none the less. The tasting at the Chapeze House was really good for us because it clued us into what kind of bourbon we liked and it let us sample a little of the more high end stuff. Since returning I've secured the following for my tasting:

Woodford Reserve Masters Collection: Seasoned Oak
    Wild Turkey: American Spirits
    Wild Turkey: Rare Breed
    Parkers Heritage Collection: Cask Strength
    Old Fitgerald Birthday: 2007 (something I read a lot about on here)
    Willet Family Reserve (love the bottle and the taste)
    Sam Houston
    Jeffersons Reserve Presidential Select 17
    Old Rip Van Winkle 10 yr.
    Pappy Van Winkle 23 yr. (this one I purchased specifically for family vacation so my father, brother and I could all enjoy it together)
    Elijah Craig 18 yr. (bought this one at the HH Distillery)
    Basil Haybens (bought this one at the Beam Distillary)
    Four Roses Single Barrel 100th Anniversary

Almost finished the Sam Houston, Old Rip and I've popped the Woodford Masters, Willett Family Reserve and WT American Spirits.

Mind you I understand none of the vocabulary thrown around on this site (Examples being: Lot B and other mentions of years and barrel locations/numbers).

So far I've enjoyed it all, not a big fan of the Basil Haybens) and look forward to tasting the Pappy 23 yr. at the end of September. Thanks for the warm welcome and I look forward to learning far more than I could ever want to know on this forum.

This will help you with the abbreviations http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...t.php?f=43&a=8

Guru

You may be a newbie but you are also a fast learner, NOOG.
    The list you posted of your buys looks real good.
    ovh

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    You may be a newbie but you are also a fast learner, NOOG.
    The list you posted of your buys looks real good.
    Thanks for the link to abbreviations. I'll put it to good use. As far as my beginners list goes, like I said, I've tried to utilize what I've learned from the short time I've been on this forum and things I heard while on my tours of the distilleries. Enjoying all the different variations of bourbon is great, but so is the thrill of the hunt. Traveling from store to store hunting for rarities you know you won't see on the shelves everyday or ever again for that matter, it's great.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Guru

Thumbs up Re: Introduction from Chattanooga, TN

Welcome to sb.com!

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Disciple

Welcome. The Chapeze house was a great learning experience for me as well. It was a poor financial experience, as I've had to develop my own collection.

Your doing very good so far a big plus is you picked up on the Basil Hayden. Basil Hayden is just Old Grandad aged a little more but watered down to 80 proof. It's bourbon on training wheels. Try OGD BIB or OGD 114. But you did good picking this out as not what you paid for bourbon.

Paul
    Last edited by p_elliott; 08-07-2010 at 00:25.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by p_elliott View Post
    Your doing very good so far a big plus is you picked up on the Basil Hayden. Basil Hayden is just Old Grandad aged a little more but watered down to 80 proof. It's bourbon on training wheels. Try OGD BIB or OGD 114. But you did good picking this out as not what you paid for bourbon.

Paul
    While the Basil Hayden is smooth I've quickly learned it's not my cup of tea. I'm extremely fond of the Four Roses 120th I popped over the weekend as well as the 2007 Old Forrester Birthday 2007 I opened last night. I see where you're going with the training wheels reference. To me it Basil tastes extremely watered down.