Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: What Good Are Ratings?

Tom,

You're being unfairly hard on comic books.

Guru

Well, in a similar vein, most of us would agree on a broad rating of 7s, 8s, 9s and 10s for looks...be it men or women...and though the exact rating may differ I bet a large % would be within 10 pts. So, there is probably value in identifying the best from the average and bad. Once you find a reviewer with a similar palate the reviews carry more weight. I cannot tell you if a 87 pt whiskey or wine etc. is worse than a 91 pt but I assume both are good.
    A 74 pt product should be noticeably worse than a 85+. General agreement is probably valid with some outliers expected.
    I only pick up 2-4 flavor notes in most whiskey or wine so the pantry list of notes usually just adds color. I am not saying they don't exist, but most are passing experiences that come and go quickly in the overall taste. I think the mind can create an expectation and the note will be found if searched for in the mix.
    Last edited by Jono; 11-15-2011 at 17:13.

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Tom,

You're being unfairly hard on comic books.
    Too funny Chuck, too funny!

Chuck,

You caught my bias, I never did like comic books although I always enjoyed Mad Magazine.

Despite my comments about whiskey reviews, I do read them avidly. And I respect the whiskey knowledge of people like John Hansell, Jim Murray, Paul Pacult and yourself (even though you are not primarily in the business of reviewing whiskeys). If a new whiskey release comes out, and it is expensive, I'm more likely to try it if respected reviewers rate it highly. But I don't give much weight to the exact numbers on their scales nor to their words of description unless they are funny.