Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Apprentice

Re: How To Get Started.

@Kickert: Thanks for the tasting list (I'm a newbie). I've saved it as "Kickert's Newbie Tasting Guide", right next to your ratio file. Good stuff.
    Marna

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by marna View Post
    @Kickert: Thanks for the tasting list (I'm a newbie). I've saved it as "Kickert's Newbie Tasting Guide", right next to your ratio file. Good stuff.
    Marna
    Hope it is helpful! As for the ratio document, I am pretty sure that could be filed under "too nerdy to be useful"
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

I would also say to a beginner, don't disregard a bourbon based on one tasting. One day a bottle might taste pedestrian to your palate, but another day it might be darn tasty. There are many things that affect your palate so don't be too hasty to dismiss something after one tasting!

Virtuoso

Here's a list I just posted on my blog that I use for novice tastings when I'm asked for recommendations. I'd certainly be interested in feedback.

The idea of this list is that if you are a novice bourbon drinker, tasting these whiskeys will give you a good sense of the variety and range of styles of American whiskey. Once you have tried all of these, you will be ready for the big-time. In addition, they are all whiskeys I feel comfortable recommending (i.e. I generally like them).

Since the list is intended for novices in the LA area, the two qualifications for the list are that all of the whiskeys be (1) fairly easy to find in a good Los Angeles area liquor store (although some are obviously easier to find than others); and (2) fairly affordable (although, obviously there is a range and the idea was not to only list the absolute cheapest bottles or expressions). I also tried to mix it up between styles and distilleries.

The list certainly reflects my biases. You won't find many Beam products or any Jack Daniels but lots of Buffalo Trace. Rye is arguably over-represented, but I love my rye. Of course, there are some great bourbons that I left off. I wasn't going to list every expression of a given whiskey, so for instance, I limited myself to one Weller. And while Very Old Barton BIB is great and would easily belong on such a list, you can't get it in California, so it's not on the list. I also excluded special releases that change from year to year (such as Parker's Heritage, Buffalo Trace Experimental, etc.).

Bookerís Bourbon ($50)
    Buffalo Trace Bourbon ($20)
    Eagle Rare 10 Bourbon ($25)
    Elijah Craig 12 Bourbon ($20)
    Four Roses Single Barrel Bourbon ($40)
    High West Rendezvous Rye ($50)
    George Dickel #12 Tennessee Whiskey ($18)
    George T. Stagg Bourbon ($75)
    Makerís Mark Bourbon ($23)
    Old Grand-Dad 114 Bourbon ($23)
    Old Potrero Rye ($70)
    Sazerac Rye ($27)
    Ridgemont Reserve 1792 Bourbon ($36)
    Rittenhouse 100 Rye ($20)
    Wild Turkey 101 Rye ($20)
    Wild Turkey Rare Breed Bourbon ($43)
    William Larue Weller Bourbon ($75)
    Woodford Reserve Bourbon ($25)

Novice

Hi all, I've been drinking bourbon for a few years now, but more from a "Yeah, I'm bad ass with a nice glass of neat whiskey in his hand," perspective and not so much a thoughtful, actually enjoying individual whiskeys for what they are perspective. I'm working on reforming, trying lots of different bourbons at various price points, mash bills, etc. But I wonder, how do I know when I'm ready to move up? When is my pallet at a point where that bottle of Pappy 23 isn't a waste? I know it's a subjective question, but I'd be interested to hear ya'lls thoughts on the matter.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by peterlake View Post
    Hi all, I've been drinking bourbon for a few years now, but more from a "Yeah, I'm bad ass with a nice glass of neat whiskey in his hand," perspective and not so much a thoughtful, actually enjoying individual whiskeys for what they are perspective. I'm working on reforming, trying lots of different bourbons at various price points, mash bills, etc. But I wonder, how do I know when I'm ready to move up? When is my pallet at a point where that bottle of Pappy 23 isn't a waste? I know it's a subjective question, but I'd be interested to hear ya'lls thoughts on the matter.
    "thoughtful, actually enjoying individual whiskeys for what they are perspective. I'm working on reforming, trying lots of different bourbons at various price points, mash bills, etc."

just my opinion - there are certainly much better qualified people. when you can start telling the difference between the different bourbons and appreciating those differences, you are "ready". however, you may then realize that the pappy 23 IS a waste!

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by peterlake View Post
    Welcome Travis.

Regarding your question, I just opened my first bottle of PVW23 recently and I still much not be ready. I have had much better bourbons that did not cost me $250. My recommendation is try as many different bourbons as you can. Everyone's pallet is different. I started out only enjoying lower proof bourbons, not my tastes are completely different. I find barrel strength bourbons to be my favorite. Try some wheaters and some high rye bourbons. Let me know if you want any suggestions.