Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: Woodford Reserve Timeline

Tim,

I'm sure Brown-Forman would be happy to fact check it for you. PM me if you need a contact.

Novice

Ok, having now had an eye-opening visit to urban dictionary, I'd just like to clarify that whole hoo-hah thing:

Noun 1. hoo-hah - a disorderly outburst or tumult; "they were amazed by the furious disturbance they had caused"
    Synonyms: commotion, hoo-ha, hurly burly, kerfuffle, to-do, disruption, disturbance
    disorder - a disturbance of the peace or of public order
    stir, splash - a prominent or sensational but short-lived news event; "he made a great splash and then disappeared"

uproar - a state of commotion and noise and confusion

It's that whole 'two nations divided by a common language' thing isn't it?

Novice

Many thanks to everyone who has chipped in with help on this. I hadn't previously been aware of just how contentious these Master's Collection editions had been. Clearly John is right to say that they are polarising whiskies.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by CorvallisCracker View Post
    Are those the three stills being currently used? Those are "small"?
    If the numbers I have (beer still 2500 litres, spirit still around 6000 litres) are correct, then yes - I'd say that's pretty small. Some Scottish wash stills are 30,000 litres.

Bourbonian of the Year 2006

Pot Still Envy?

Probably won't make Webster's.

My stills are bigger than yours.
    Colonel Ed
    Bourbonian of the Year 2006

Comissioned by Paul Patton, 1999

"It ain't the booze that brings me in here, it's the solace it distills"

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

The beer still at Woodford is 2,500 gallons and the two spirit stills are 1,650 gallons each. In my recent WHISKY Magazine story I said litres for the beer still, which was wrong. It's all in gallons.

Irreverent One

Quote Originally Posted by JohnHansell View Post
    Actually, I think maybe a better way to describe it is that it was well-received by those who regularly drink both bourbon and scotch. I wouldn't describe myself (or Jim Murray, for that matter, as "Scotch oriented", given that we enjoy all whiskey styles).
    But John, you are the Malt Advocate.

As for Mr. Murray, 80% of his "Whisky Bible" is devoted to Scotch, with entries for every obscure expression from every distiller. The Bourbon section misses entire brands (Ezra Brooks, for example) and is spotty on a lot of annual releases. Plus there's that irksome entry for PVW 15 where he goes on and on about the intensity of the rye, which I can only attribute to a nose and palate ruined by the ingestion of too much Islay malt.

Then there's dear old Paul Pacult, who although he didn't give as high a rating to the WR4G as you or Mr. Murray, still liked it. Paul got on my bad side with his statement, "Highland Park 18yo is the best whisky in the world." Although HP18 is my favorite SMS (of the two dozen or so I've sampled), it doesn't deserve the title of "best whisky". That's like saying that the Golden Delicious apple is the "best fruit". Try making a Harvey Wallbanger with apple juice, or a banana split with an apple.

So my statement was based on positve reviews of the WR4G from three reviewers who, from where I sit, appear to have a leaning in the direction of Scotch. This is not to say that none of you don't like Bourbon, because I know that you all do (Jim was quite enthusiastic about that PVW 15 ).

Just curious: If you were shipwrecked on a desert isle with a case of whisky, what would you like it to be? I recollect seeing an interview with Chuck where he answered that question (VVOF). As for me it would be 2009 GTS, but that partly reflects my practical side (the high proof would allow stretching it a lot further).

(sorry to go so far off-topic on your thread, Tim)
    Last edited by CorvallisCracker; 08-10-2010 at 13:28.
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms