Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Enthusiast

So.. someone is not to fond of CDN Whisky

Spirits columnist from the Post wrote a pretty funny review and thoughts...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...080905417.html
    Visit the search for glory in the bottle: http://imbibehour.blogspot.com/
    My video reviews http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...16DDF465CBC112

Virtuoso

Re: So.. someone is not to fond of CDN Whisky

I think I'm in lockstep with the author of that article. And, Caribou Crossing is pretty well done for what it is. It was tasting it with the group, and our generally favorable comments that got me to thinking about what a really great blended whiskey for this niche might be in. Of course, in my example it's a Blended American Whiskey, but you get the point.

"What would a Great Blended American Whiskey be? thread here. Let's hear your thoughts.

Roger

Guru

This part made me smile.

"VO really didn't taste like much at all, did it?" she said. "Well, I guess it was perfect for a young girl who'd never had anything to drink before."
    Like the author, I too grew up in the 70's, well more like the late 70's and 80's, and I too remember a lot of adults drinking Canadian blends, often while they played pitch or 500 at CB get-togethers. Reading that article reminded me of my childhood.

Advanced Taster

I could only think of my *cough*highschool*cough* days and early college career and all the 7 and 7 I have consumed, that stuff sure went own easy. Living in Michigan the Canadian whiskey has a pretty strong hold.

I always liked seeing the Black Velvet billboards all over the place with the hot blond in long black dress.
    Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough. - Mark Twain.

Disciple

Canadian Whisky was my gateway to Bourbon. My drink of choice for a few years was Canadian Club on the rocks. I went from ordering with rocks and a splash of water, to rocks with a few drops of water, to just rocks, to neat, and then to bourbon.

I don't know that I would have acquired a bourbon or scotch taste without drinking the Canadian stuff first. Of course, I might have saved some money that way ...

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Bourbon Boiler View Post
    Canadian Whisky was my gateway to Bourbon. My drink of choice for a few years was Canadian Club on the rocks. I went from ordering with rocks and a splash of water, to rocks with a few drops of water, to just rocks, to neat, and then to bourbon.

I don't know that I would have acquired a bourbon or scotch taste without drinking the Canadian stuff first. Of course, I might have saved some money that way ...
    So what you're saying is that once you discovered what the Canadian Club really tasted like, you switched to bourbon.

Enthusiast

The last time I had canadian whisky was this past year, when my beloved Washington Capitals lost so early and so ignominiously in the Stanley Cup playoffs.

I am a fervent believer in matching a whisky with an occasion, so I decided upon a spirit which would make me feel even more miserable, and cement the entire experience in my existence upon this planet as a lifetime low -- that way, I would feel that there was nowhere, not with life, not with sport, not with whisky -- to go but up.

I drank Seagrams 7. Straight. What little taste it had was nasty and artificial, almost like someone took some vanilla extract and caramel color and mixed it in with some low-grade vodka and slapped a label on it that said "whisky".

No offense, Canadians, but until you learn how to make a quality whisky, you shall forever be "america's hat."

Advanced Taster

FYI, and many of you already know this, but I want to point it out: Seagram's 7 Crown is American blended whiskey. VO and VO Gold are the two Canadian whiskys bearing the Seagram's brand name. Whether they taste significantly better or worse than Seagram's 7 is unknown to me.
    -Matt

Whiskey's fer drinking, stamps are fer collecting.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by matthew0715 View Post
    FYI, and many of you already know this, but I want to point it out: Seagram's 7 Crown is American blended whiskey.
    Thanks for the correction! This is why I love this board -- it's been a real learning experience. Now if I can just keep from putting my foot in my mouth!

(I still don't like regular Crown, though. And Canada still is America's Hat)

Virtuoso

I have never thought Canadian was bad whiskey, some like Crown's Cask 16 and XR are good pours.... if overpriced.

I suppose when you drink for effect and don't want flavors getting in the way it is second only to Vodka. Obviously that's a huge market.