Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Guru

Re: keeping cigars fresh

Quote Originally Posted by Megawatt View Post
    I tried the bag trick and my results are suspect. After one week the paper towel was spotted with mould and the cigars are almost damp, though fortunately they don't seem to have been tainted. I hope they aren't ruined before I go camping. Evidently I wet the paper towel too much or something. I took the towel out and put the smokes into a new bag by themselves. They are in a pack like a cigarette pack so they did not actually come into contact with any spores (I hope).
    You didn't put the paper towel in the same bag as the cigars did you?
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Virtuoso

I typically smoke cigars at 61% and long term age at 58%.... IMO less moisture and more flavor. Pretty standard levels for what the English have done through the years. 65% is on the high side, 70% you are smoking sponges....
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Apprentice

Cubans in my experience are best smoked drier, I keep one of my humidors at 62% for just Havanas. I'd say no fridge or freezers. A slightly moist pillow/towel with distilled water will do just fine if you can't get to a tobacco store for a Humidified Bag that's been made in the past 5-10 years by Fuente and a few others. Cigars are more durable then people may think, 1-2 weeks in a sealed bag should be fine.

Connoisseur

Thanks for the tips. The cigars are in a little paper-lined box, which I put into the bag with the damp towel. In retrospect I guess I should have double-bagged it as recommended in this thread.

Guru

Mega - in the future, using the double bag technique will keep your cigars fresh. If you anticipate longer term storage, mixing 50/50 distilled water and propylene glycol will provide a stable environment plus avoid the issues of the mold spores showing up.

On a related note, on occasion, I enjoy pipe smoking also, especially as fall/winter approaches. I neglected my pipe tobacco for a number of months as I wasn't smoking it and the tobacco dried out (as in crunchy). I dropped all the baggies of tobacco into a large gallon size zip lock bag and dropped in a small piece of florist foam wet down with the above mentioned 50/50 solution. I checked it over time and after about 4 months, each bag had reclaimed its prior moist nature and smokes just great.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog