Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011

How Much is Left in the Nation?

I was one of the early members of the board, not the first, but one of the early ones, to point out the relative wealth of riches in terms of older bottles still on the retail shelves. I think I probably mentioned National Distiller's products first, and maybe some Pennsylvania ryes, and the original Michter's Sour Mash (although if I am not mistaken, no one on the board has ever bought off the retail shelf a Michter's Original Sour Mash whether in bottle or decanter, I am referring to regular store-bought liquor. Ditto for the original 90 proof Jack Daniels. Ditto for Maker's Mark from the 1980's or earlier).

Since those early years, people have contributed great knowledge and information and of course thousands of bottles have been snapped up. And a good thing too, with many SB ers getting clued in to the tastes of yesteryear (so often felt superior to today).

My question is, and I know there are lots of members good with numbers and stats and extrapolations, is there any decent guesstimate of what might still be out there? A few thou of bottles sounds a lot, but how much is it really in terms of the likely subsisting national stock of historical bottles, say those made up to 1980 (or pick your date)? 10%? 50%? 90%?. I am talking regular retail store availability.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 08-26-2010 at 13:03.

Advanced Taster

Re: How Much is Left in the Nation?

I think there is more out there that what most people can appreciate. I get around a bit and get to hunt on my company's dime. I have been to plenty of places where I was told that I would not find anything and have left with more bottles than I could carry.

The easy stuff is still out there. Bob and Tony spent 2 hours hunting in Houston and scored a ton of SW OWA and ER101. DC area is still ripe. L.A. is a goldmine. And these are city centers. Not even getting into back roads stores where gems are still hiding out.
    HiroProtagonist: I am still trying to figure out what hookers and salsa have to do with each other..

Connoisseur

States like Pennsylvania don't have "dusties" on the shelves because of their tight inventory control. I've gone down to Maryland on several occasions and found some older stuff (mid-90's) still on the shelf.
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    the original Michter's Sour Mash (although if I am not mistaken, no one on the board has ever bought off the retail shelf a Michter's Original Sour Mash whether in bottle or decanter, I am referring to regular store-bought liquor.
    You mean a bottle like this?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg W.jpg (43.0 KB, 85 views)
    HiroProtagonist: I am still trying to figure out what hookers and salsa have to do with each other..

Connoisseur

HOLY SMOKES (see my profile picture). I have a "mild" addiction to everything Michter's and seeing full glass bottles is awesome. I've got what equates to at least 10 gallons worth of Michter's between my glass bottles and the dozens of full decanters I have. I, however, didn't buy any of them from liquor stores back in the 70's and 80's as I was only born in 1983!
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by sgtgto View Post
    I think there is more out there that what most people can appreciate. I get around a bit and get to hunt on my company's dime. I have been to plenty of places where I was told that I would not find anything and have left with more bottles than I could carry.

The easy stuff is still out there. Bob and Tony spent 2 hours hunting in Houston and scored a ton of SW OWA and ER101. DC area is still ripe. L.A. is a goldmine. And these are city centers. Not even getting into back roads stores where gems are still hiding out.
    How do I get in touch with your boss to stop such an act from happening in the future?
    Last edited by hectic1; 08-26-2010 at 18:50.
    You can find me in chat most nights on days ending with the letter y!

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Good to hear, especially that some (at any rate) of those Michter's were purchased in stores. Hopefully there is more, somewhere.

Gary

I, too, was the second-generation owner of one of those: I got it from someone who purchased it off the shelf of a country liquor store in Georgia (Acworth, I believe -- Friendly Liquors, perhaps? Joe or Jim?) c. 2005.
    I suspect Gary tasted from it, in fact.

Taster

Johnny on the spot, gimme that!

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post
    I, too, was the second-generation owner of one of those: I got it from someone who purchased it off the shelf of a country liquor store in Georgia (Acworth, I believe -- Friendly Liquors, perhaps? Joe or Jim?) c. 2005.
    I suspect Gary tasted from it, in fact.
    That bottle was purchased by me from a liquor store in Detroit early this year. 11$ out the door. I haven't opened it yet. I also know of a king tut decanter on a shelf, somewhere. I didn't pick it up as I had too much WSR to fly back with.