Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: How Much is Left in the Nation?

I know first hand that the Michter decanters lose a lot of their enclosed contents through evaporation. I wonder if that is the reason forthe decanting and bottling of the whiskey.
    Dave G.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by dgonano View Post
    I know first hand that the Michter decanters lose a lot of their enclosed contents through evaporation. I wonder if that is the reason forthe decanting and bottling of the whiskey.
    The king tut decanter I bought the other day filled a 750ml bottle.

Guru

Its a big world... I bet a lot. There are so many places in the US that are depressed and have not moved product in a very long time... I would say from 10 years ago at least 50 of it is still out there.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I got several of the Michter's bottles from a liquor store here in the Chicago area, after a tip from a friend, but that was probably 15 years ago. At about the same time I found several Old Taylors from the early 70s.

I'm amazed there are any true dusties out there, in that I'm shocked how many retailers don't have rudimentary inventory control. Nothing should sit on your shelf for 20 years.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    I'm amazed there are any true dusties out there, in that I'm shocked how many retailers don't have rudimentary inventory control. Nothing should sit on your shelf for 20 years.
    Have you seen the show "Hoarders"? I really think some store owners have this same "disease".

Enthusiast

I would certainly wager that it's definitely less than 50%, and diminishing exponentially each year. From the areas that I've covered, along with my brethren, Nor Cal is pretty much down to less than 10%.

One never knows for sure. From my experience, the best finds were in urban places that once were more populous and now have a contingency that sticks to beer, cheap brandy, or vodka. In other words, the best finds are areas not quite out in the sticks, but are now run down inner city regions. Then again someone recently posted some huge haul from North Carolina, I think (an urban area? I don't know).

As for the nation as a whole, this conjecture may not apply. But judging from the other regular postings of finds (i.e. Detroit, D.C., Chicago, and Houston) there may not be that many metropolitan areas left that hold such treasures.
    "It hasn't cured my broken heart, but it sure helps a lot."
    -Ernest Tubb

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by jinenjo View Post
    I would certainly wager that it's definitely less than 50%, and diminishing exponentially each year. From the areas that I've covered, along with my brethren, Nor Cal is pretty much down to less than 10%.

One never knows for sure. From my experience, the best finds were in urban places that once were more populous and now have a contingency that sticks to beer, cheap brandy, or vodka. In other words, the best finds are areas not quite out in the sticks, but are now run down inner city regions. Then again someone recently posted some huge haul from North Carolina, I think (an urban area? I don't know).

As for the nation as a whole, this conjecture may not apply. But judging from the other regular postings of finds (i.e. Detroit, D.C., Chicago, and Houston) there may not be that many metropolitan areas left that hold such treasures.
    I disagree. There are near weekly posts about finds in Houston. DC and the surrounding area has dusties all over the place. Chicago I would say is pretty cleaned out. Detroit still holds some finds. I hunted for a couple hours and came out with a dozen dusties. People say areas are hunted out.. then you have members going in and pulling out L'ville Centennials and VSOF.
    HiroProtagonist: I am still trying to figure out what hookers and salsa have to do with each other..

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by sgtgto View Post
    I disagree. There are near weekly posts about ... pulling out L'ville Centennials and VSOF.
    I thought we were talking about an earlier era (pre 80's), but I think the numbers being thrown around are way too high at any rate.

I've done some pretty extensive 'research' on this very topic in my area, having been to almost all of the ~100 stores inside the i465 loop. Say they each, at one time, had 100 _bottles_, not decanters, of pre 80's bourbon on the shelf. How much is left today? Well if you can find a single bottle with a tax stamp that I missed (which I doubt, unless it was old back room stock), then that would mean that .01% of the pre 80's bourbon that was once on the shelf is still there.

I'd imagine 80's is about .1% (ten in the city somewhere) and 90's is getting around 1% - or, every liquor store might have one from the 90's, or some have three and some none... but even that seems like a stretch in my experience around here.

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

My guess is that is definitely dwindling. Still plenty to find here in Houston, but not like it was 3 years ago. I have visited about 450 of the 522 stores in Harris County and kept and Excel spread sheet on those locations. Trust me I bought my share but also left behind plenty of stuff. I find stores that I made notes of 1-2 years ago and go back and they are wiped clean. Still, sometimes a store I have visited several times then on next trip, they have something different that either I missed before, or found in the back, or bought another stores inventory.

At the same time, the industry is creating new dustys for us to hunt. WTRR 10/101 and ER 10/101 are a couple that come to mind.

Guru

I'm not as habitual with my bourbon organization as Wade, but I've gone into stores that I have regularly purchased from and suddenly there are old bottles that were not on display on many previous trips. This has happened at least twice once I found a OFitz BiB from 1979, the other time I found a Pewter topped WTKS. Either bottle I would have captured on sight.