Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Enthusiast

$300 Burning a Hole in My Pocket

We had a marketing challenge at my work and the reward is $300. From the beginning I vowed that if I succeeded I would use my $300 on something superfluous. Far be it from me to call bourbon superfluous, but I do technically have plenty (15 bottles or so). Anyway, I don't regularly spend $300 on whiskey at once. Occasionally I might splurge and buy a $50-75 bottle, but thats about the max. So . . . .

Should I get one or two expensive bottles (PVW20, 23, Parker's Heritage (the 27yr was barreled in my birth year), etc) or spread it out a bit? I need to plan my strategy out beforehand so I don't make any panic purchases. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Kid in a Candy Store

Guru

Re: $300 Burning a Hole in My Pocket

Well, here's some questions. How often do you have that kind of money burning a hole in your pocket? How often do you or would you pick up a high end bottle of bourbon at $60+? If you typically don't have the cash to spend on higher end offerings, then now is the time to do so. If not, then go for more reasonable stuff and stock up the bourbon bunker. Go for things you've wanted to pick but haven't. Bottom line, whatever you get is more than you have now.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Guru

Skip the pappy 20 or 23 for that matter. Overpriced and boring.

Spread it out would be my rec, although you can't go wrong with any of the PHCs.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Advanced Taster

If it were me, I'd likely focus on a couple three more expensive bottles that I normally couldn't justify purchasing. If you went for quantity, you'd just be getting stuff that you wouldn't have a problem buying normally and could do any time.

Shoot for the stars and get some stuff that will truly be memorable for years to come.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Skip the pappy 20 or 23 for that matter. Overpriced and boring.

Spread it out would be my rec, although you can't go wrong with any of the PHCs.
    If you are spending it on bourbon, I would spend most of it in the $50-100 price range. Pick up some pappy 15, some BATC, some PHC, and then blow the rest on $30 bourbons.

If I had $300, here is how I would spend it:
    • GTS - $75
    • Pappy 15 - $50
    • WLW- $75
    • WL Weller 12- $30
    • Wild Turkey Rare Breed - $40
    • Evan Williams SB - $30
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Advanced Taster

It is tough.. but you should try and do whatever possible to hold onto it for a few more months. The new BTAC, OFBB, PHC, and others will be released soon.
    HiroProtagonist: I am still trying to figure out what hookers and salsa have to do with each other..

Advanced Taster

Save $50 more and get an ORVW 23. Then buy the Parker's too, since the birthyear thing is a good excuse in and of itself. Take full advantage of your available rationalizations.

Connoisseur

I love being able to spend other people's money so here is what I would do with found money........

1 bottle Parker's Heritage 27 - Great whiskey (the only bourbon my wife likes so far) and with the bottling/birth year thing it's a have to buy

Wait for this year's Parker's release and if as good as I expect - BUY IT. If it seems weak for the price go with the 2010 BTAC Stagg and WLW if they are up to snuff.

Looking at this I'm really surprised at my recommendations because I am not normally a big Heaven Hill fan, but the 27 year really impresses me as far as bang for high price buck spirits.

Tom

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by kickert View Post
    If you are spending it on bourbon, I would spend most of it in the $50-100 price range. Pick up some pappy 15, some BATC, some PHC, and then blow the rest on $30 bourbons.

If I had $300, here is how I would spend it:
    • GTS - $75
    • Pappy 15 - $50
    • WLW- $75
    • WL Weller 12- $30
    • Wild Turkey Rare Breed - $40
    • Evan Williams SB - $30
    Ben makes sense and I would do the same.
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by SBOmarc View Post
    Ben makes sense and I would do the same.
    He read my mind, but good luck getting Pappy 15 at any price, at least where I live. IMO if you can get it for $50 it's your best value in whiskey anywhere. But I wouldn't pay north of $70 for GTS. I can get that for something like $55...