Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Bookers - pretty tasty

Howdy All:

I hope you are doing great.

I am still new into Bourbon and learning. I started about a year ago and had a buddy come over and educate me. One of the bottles I had was Bookers and he said it would last me forever because it was so high proof that I would not be drinking a lot of it.

Fast forward to last week, a friend buys me a bottle of Bookers and I figure I should finish off the other bottle. I get myself a nice cigar and fill my glass with some Bookers and a couple of ice cubes to cut it a bit and cool it down for my time outside in the warm weather. It was really a wonderful drink, I did not feel at all that it was "too strong".

Learn something new everyday I guess.

Best regards, tony

Virtuoso

Re: Bookers - pretty tasty

Bookers is spoken about from time to time on SB..... most seem to visit this old standby now and then. I have always found it to be a solid pour that is found in most higher end restaurants.... where I was introduced to it in my early bourbon days. It is priced close to $60 in Virginia so it is no bargain. Also it has a fair amount of competition these days in the $50-70 range....
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Guru

I haven't had any Booker's for a few years, maybe 2005, would like to try it again but from what I remember the 58 bucks could be spent better else where.
    ovh

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    I haven't had any Booker's for a few years, maybe 2005, would like to try it again but from what I remember the 58 bucks could be spent better else where.
    I agree Oscar. I haven’t had it for years ether for the same reasons as you and I have never bought a whole bottle, but it seem high time to give it a new chance.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Disciple

Around here, it's essentially the only uncut & unfiltered bourbon you can find. Booker's was one of my favorites originally, now I pour from that bottle only occasionaly. If you're introducing bourbon to someone, Bookers is good to have around so the student can taste the difference between 121 proof and 95.

Advanced Taster

I love Booker's.. It was the second bourbon I tried after beginning my love affair with of what I think of as real bourbon. The first bottle I tried was knob creek. Went out and bought a bottle KC the next day, walked out of the store, dropped it... Smashed like a melon on pavement.
    Jeff...

I can learn to resist anything but temptation.

Connoisseur

I finished one Bookers and have another in the bunker on standby. I like Bookers myself. The recent bottles have been very flavorful and the high proof remains fairly smooth. As far as price goes, I guess it's all relative to one's own budget-to-taste ratio. Nothing burns my butt-cheeks more than a $100 bourbon with a $25 taste. On the reverse side of that is Nirvana calling to me.
    Often I am forced to deal with the fact that I prefer bourbon over dealing with facts.

Advanced Taster

Bookers is a great pour, I always keep one on hand. Although I do prefer Knob Creek over Bookers, availability here down here is an issue.

I've also seen it in two different proofs here. Anyone know the story behind this ?

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by spy247 View Post
    I've also seen it in two different proofs here. Anyone know the story behind this ?
    While not single barrel, Booker's is small batch, and since it is uncut, there will be variations in proof from batch to batch. One batch was up to 131 proof, but 121-127 is more typical.

FYI, Pennsylvania State Stores have it on sale this month for $42.99 (plus 6% sales tax), much more reasonable than the $50-60 some other places have it at.
    -Matt

Whiskey's fer drinking, stamps are fer collecting.

Taster

It's one of my favorites and luckily, the price here has dipped as well, it's been floating around the $45 - $50 range, which is fine with me.