Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Guru

Thumbs up Re: Bookers - pretty tasty

I agree with most of the above. Booker's is an excellent whiskey. Hard to afford, but delicious.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Guru

Re: Bookers - pretty tasty

Haven't hit from my bottle of Bookers in quite some time but will do so tonight, as we are experiencing a wonderful and well-needed break from the heat for the next few days and Bookers was always a favorite for me on autumnal evenings.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Bookers is what got me started and opened my eyes to what bourbon could offer. I'd been a Knob Creek only drinker for a while and then about 10 years ago got a bottle of Booker's as a gift, my friend and I loved the heat and flavor (later I discovered Stagg and all hell broke loose).

I think I have about 4 bottles in the house right now; one, the Commemorative Edition will never be opened, one is just sitting with the rest of the SBC in the display case and then I have two old bottles both batches from the 80s I believe. I may pop the top on one of those older bottles at my wedding.
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Disciple

This thread inspired me to have a small pour this evening. After a large relaxing pour of ETL, this is waking me up.

Guru

Bookers gets my vote for the most overpriced bourbon on the market. For me, its just not that good. When it was the only barrel-proof around it had some cachet. But now there as so many better (and better-priced) alternatives. The world has passed it by.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Virtuoso

I like Bookers, and I have a couple of bottles, but I would rather pay $31.00 for WTRB as opposed to $50.00 for the Bookers. It isn't that Bookers isn't good, it's just too much money for something that isn't any better, in my opinion.

Guru

I like Bookers. But it has been a while since I've had any, partly because of the summer heat, and partly because, well, there are just so many other great bourbons and ryes.

I usually can get Bookers for 45 or 46 dollars at Sam's Club. They could ditch the wooden box and it would shave a little of the price tag and it wouldn't hurt my feelings.

I think I'll make it a point to open a bottle this weekend. I may even use it in place of vanilla extract when I make my home-made Ice cream tomorrow.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ILLfarmboy View Post
    I may even use it in place of vanilla extract when I make my home-made Ice cream tomorrow.
    You Damn Yankee, you makin' home made ice cream and didn't invite this hillbilly over?!?!?
    BTW, my Grandfather would pour a can of cling peaches in his, banana is my favorite.
    ovh

Disciple

Bookers is something I'll only buy when I'm out if there is nothing else at the bar I feel like drinking.
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

GBS Member - 2011 Indoctrination

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jburlowski View Post
    Bookers gets my vote for the most overpriced bourbon on the market. For me, its just not that good. When it was the only barrel-proof around it had some cachet. But now there as so many better (and better-priced) alternatives. The world has passed it by.
    Well said.

A suggestion to the folks at Beam: Do something else to Booker's. Make it single barrel or give it a two-digit age statement or something like that. George Garvin Brown has a great whiskey dedicated to him. Parker Beam, Jimmy Russell, Jim Rutledge, Elmer T. Lee, all have great whiskeys and they're not even dead yet. Honor Booker Noe's memory as one of America's great whiskeymen by bringing his namesake back to the cutting edge.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog