Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Taster

I want to make bourbon ice cream from scratch.

I got a Cuisinart ice cream maker as a gift ( http://www.cuisinart.com/products/ic.../ice-30bc.html ) and I just followed one of the recipes in the book on Labor day and made some dern good vanilla bean ice cream. Now that I've made the inaugural batch I have more confidence. Anyone have a recipe for bourbon ice cream? I searched and found one but it was more like taking pre-made ice cream and adding bourbon and a few other things. Thanks!

Guru

Re: I want to make bourbon ice cream from scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDS View Post
    I got a Cuisinart ice cream maker as a gift ( http://www.cuisinart.com/products/ic.../ice-30bc.html ) and I just followed one of the recipes in the book on Labor day and made some dern good vanilla bean ice cream. Now that I've made the inaugural batch I have more confidence. Anyone have a recipe for bourbon ice cream? I searched and found one but it was more like taking pre-made ice cream and adding bourbon and a few other things. Thanks!
    I'm sure the recipe that you used included vanilla, just substitude bourbon and you may want to add a little more.
    When we make milkshakes in the blender we use vanilla ice cream, milk and a couple of tablespoons of bourbon.
    ovh

Guru

When you make your base also watch the amount of sugar, I think it will take less. Subbing the bourbon for the vanilla is absolutely the way to go, but I am not sure you will get the flavor coming through as much as you think.

Trader Joe's has/had a bourbon infused vanilla extract that I would suggest experimenting in addition to whatever bourbon you decide to use.
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    I'm sure the recipe that you used included vanilla, just substitude bourbon and you may want to add a little more.
    When we make milkshakes in the blender we use vanilla ice cream, milk and a couple of tablespoons of bourbon.
    It contained 2 teaspoons of vanilla. I don't expect to get drunk off the thing but I may need to at least double that.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by SBOmarc View Post
    When you make your base also watch the amount of sugar, I think it will take less. Subbing the bourbon for the vanilla is absolutely the way to go, but I am not sure you will get the flavor coming through as much as you think.

Trader Joe's has/had a bourbon infused vanilla extract that I would suggest experimenting in addition to whatever bourbon you decide to use.
    Good to know about Trader Joe's. I'll have to check.

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDS View Post
    Anyone have a recipe for bourbon ice cream? I searched and found one but it was more like taking pre-made ice cream and adding bourbon and a few other things. Thanks!
    I've made some with pre-made ice cream before, but never from scratch. Would be an iteresting experiment Make sure you let us know how it goes.

I'm pretty sure that Timothy (barturtle) makes his own ice cream once in a while. I don't know if he has a bourbon ice cream recipe though. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Connoisseur

You need to get ahold of Roger (RUGHI) he makes some terrific ice cream. When the EBSG got together a couple of months ago Roger and Maia treated us to some homemade Ice Cream. I think we had coffee, mint maybe apricot good stuff.
    Dave

The Best Whisk(e)y in the World is called

Kentucky Bourbon!!

Enthusiast

Keep in mind the more alcohol you add the less your ice cream will actually freeze. You might wind up with soft serve....really good soft serve, but soft serve nonetheless. You could cook down the bourbon and flame off a good portion of the alcohol before adding it to your base ice cream recipe.
    "F**k it, I'm gettin' into the whiskey."
    -Joe Alvey

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by IronHead View Post
    Keep in mind the more alcohol you add the less your ice cream will actually freeze. You might wind up with soft serve....really good soft serve, but soft serve nonetheless. You could cook down the bourbon and flame off a good portion of the alcohol before adding it to your base ice cream recipe.
    I was talking to my wife about this and we concur. Cook it down then add. I'll let everyone know how it goes when we do this. Thanks!