Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Basil Hayden's bottle?

stumbled across this today, I wonder f anything will become of it?

I like the look of this, I wonder if it's too much for a bourbon like BH?

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Enthusiast

Re: New Basil Hayden's bottle?

No problem with it, unless they're charging more!

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

That's a well done digital model.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Virtuoso

It does look good, but we can be certain it will not actually become a product. It does not meet the TTB's labeling requirements.

Certain information must be on the front of the bottle: Brand name, class / type, proof,

Other information is also required to be on the actual bottle, but position does not matter: address, volume, etc.

There are several more requirements, but I got bored reading them. You can see them here if you are interested.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Guru

The bottle won't do it IMO. It'll still be overpriced 80 proof Grandad. I suppose it will generate some sales to the weak minded who like pretty bottles.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by BourbonJoe View Post
    The bottle won't do it IMO. It'll still be overpriced 80 proof Grandad. I suppose it will generate some sales to the weak minded who like pretty bottles.
    Joe
    I say amen to that Joe. Id prefer to se a new proof somewhere over 100 instead.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Virtuoso

It appears to be just a student design project. It's not clear that it has any connection to the distillery at all.

Apprentice

Thumbs down Re: New Basil Hayden's bottle?

Quote Originally Posted by BourbonJoe View Post
    Joe

Yup...I like the bottle they currently use, as for whats inside I say nay.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Isn't it great to be a student? Absolutely no practical considerations.

This is pretty common in design schools and in college marketing programs, to assign projects based on actual products. They usually do ask the company for permission and also for brand briefs and other materials that can give the students the sort of input they'll receive in the real world. Sometimes the marketer or its ad agency will have an ongoing relationship with the school. Maybe they'll have a contest and ask the brand manager to be the judge. Companies participate for general good will but also because you never know from where a good idea will come.

Beam is pushing BH very hard to the high end cocktails and culinary community. The price is just right for the market they're pursuing.

They're not changing the package.

Guru

So, Beam wants me to order an 80 proof Manhattan, or some other trumped cocktail and pay big money for the name Basil Hayden?

They have already tried that with Ri one...true? How has that worked out for them?

I am the " culinary community" for that matter so is anyone that dines out. Seeing as how BH is in most SoCal bars as part of the Beam Small Batch collection, I would call it readily available. I heard one bartender recently refer to it as " a light whiskey, one for non bourbon drinkers. I have also heard it secribed as "women's whiskey". When I cook with bourbon I am looking for all of the flavor sometimes color that I can get. That puts BH well down the list.
    Last edited by SBOmarc; 09-08-2010 at 13:58.
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.