Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shipping question

I have a bottle of bourbon I would like to ship. I don't have a license or anything but need to ship it. Is there a legal way to do it?

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Re: Shipping question

While it is illegal to ship alcohol through the United States Postal Service, it is only a violation of corporate policy to ship through UPS or FedEx.

Take that for what you will.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Pack that bottle of WT 12 year old very well or the person you sold it to is going to end up with a package of mush.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Actually I haven't sold it yet. I just want to have my ducks in a row before I put it on. I wouldn't want to sell it then not be able to ship it. Thanx for the help.

Novice

This is my method-have shipped about 900 since 1970.Get a good heavy kitchen trash bag and secure bottle to contain a possible break.I cradel the item in an Insta-pac expanding foam bag to 100% secure.Lots of packing material around all that.UPS pays no damage claim on anything with less than 5 inches of packaging on all sides.Mark package well as "Glass" NO Throw.That has been 99.9% succesful.

Quote Originally Posted by zo6driver View Post
    This is my method-have shipped about 900 since 1970.Get a good heavy kitchen trash bag and secure bottle to contain a possible break.I cradel the item in an Insta-pac expanding foam bag to 100% secure.Lots of packing material around all that.UPS pays no damage claim on anything with less than 5 inches of packaging on all sides.Mark package well as "Glass" NO Throw.That has been 99.9% succesful.
    UPS pays no damage claims on alcohol that is shipped between private individuals as it's against company policy to do so.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Advanced Taster

When moving a lot of... ah... "glass containers" every year.. the insta-pac stuff would get very expensive, very fast. I roll the "glass containers" in cardboard a couple layers thick. then take strips of cardboard and fold them accordian (sp?) style and push them into the ends of the tube. Tape all around and viola. You can throw them and not worry.

Bubble wrap is a one drop wrapping. Once it pops, its over. The second throw into the truck does em in. Plastic bags are good to contain minor leaks in corks or caps, but if glass breaks, they don't hold up more than a moment with shards slicing them up.

Just remember, corners and edges are the first to get crushed, pack accordingly.
    HiroProtagonist: I am still trying to figure out what hookers and salsa have to do with each other..

If you want the best way to store and move bottles, I'll make no comment to shipping them, get the wine storage boxes through Uhaul http://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/...g-Kits?mid=169 they work for the majority of 'regular' shaped bottles and come in multiple sizes.

For irregular or squatty bottles try the spirited shipper http://www.spiritedshipper.com/

The time and hassle it saves makes these worth it in the long run. I've moved about 9 times since joining this board almost 6 years ago and never broke a bottle.
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Advanced Taster

I just noticed on Shoppers Vineyard that Texas has been added to their list of "no ship states" as of May 23, 2011. Wonder what changed to prompt their addition to the list?
    Chris/Oregon

Apprentice

This looks like a great option for packing in luggage:

http://www.winehug.com/