Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Whiskey Stones?

Connoisseur

Re: Whiskey Stones?

Ok, if you don't wanna use the stone "ice", why not try
    a whiskey stone shot glass?!...
    John Q.
    Tennessee Squire
    Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva
    It won't be any cheaper than it is today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan
    Someone will pay it. Someone always pays it.

I got a set of these for Christmas, and I am undecided. They came with a wooden tray and two double old-fashion glasses.

They cool a shot of whiskey just a little bit, much less than I thought they would. But about what the instructions claimed. I think it was 59 degrees, "the temperature of a Scottish whiskey pub." (sheesh)

Of course, they don't add water to your whiskey, which is a plus. And swirling a stone around in the glass is a novelty, and sort of cool.

http://www.thenewenglandtradingcompa...h_Tumblers.htm
    Last edited by eneely; 01-12-2012 at 15:01.

Virtuoso
    I got a set for free from Laphroaig but have never used them. Don't see the point to chilling whiskey, it reduces your sensitivity to the flavors

I don't know. You drink red wine slightly cooled, but warm up brandy. What is the best temperature for whiskey, and is it the same for all styles?

Taster

One of my buddies just dropped one into a glencairn, and the glass shattered...not surprised, but be careful if you are using thinner lined glasses.

Trippah and Admin

Quote Originally Posted by eneely View Post
    I don't know. You drink red wine slightly cooled, but warm up brandy. What is the best temperature for whiskey, and is it the same for all styles?
    There is no best temperature, but there's time for you to experiment to see what you prefer.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Taster

I was curious about these as well. I just went out in my yard and got a couple smooth river rocks, scrubbed them, and put them in the freezer. They don't chill liquids nearly as much as ice cubes will (because the ice changing phase causes much more heat transfer than just conduction), but I don't like things "ice" cold anyway. The other advantage of river rocks is they are smoother and can be larger than the whiskey stones and less rough on the glass (although I wouldn't just drop them in).

Quote Originally Posted by Eth3rStrik3r View Post
    One of my buddies just dropped one into a glencairn, and the glass shattered...not surprised, but be careful if you are using thinner lined glasses.
    My technique is to put the stone in first, then pour. But you can use that idea without paying me anything.

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    There is no best temperature, but there's time for you to experiment to see what you prefer.
    From your mouth to God's ear.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

My BIL had these at Christmas, and he had me try them. I found them utterly useless.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama