Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Dickel - What's Diageo's Problem?

I just did a blog post (link below) on Dickel 8 which is now, after a long drought, is in pretty good supply in LA shops. I really like the 8 though not as much as the 12, and both are about as good a whiskey as you can get for their respective prices.

My question (and frustration) is why does Diageo pretty much ignore this great distillery. Diageo is very aggressive about marketing its Scotch and Bulleit, but they seem to view Dickel as a complete afterthought. I would love to see something cask strength or some new more upmarket expressions.

Any thoughts?

http://recenteats.blogspot.com/2010/...ze-george.html

Guru

Re: Dickel - What's Diageo's Problem?

Quote Originally Posted by sku View Post
    I would love to see something cask strength or some new more upmarket expressions.

Any thoughts?
    Yes, ofcourse I'd love to get some barrel strength Dickel.
    But maybe they don't think it would be worthwhile as far as sales go.
    I wonder if they do private selections?
    How about a SB.com Dickel barrel?
    It would be a first.
    ovh

Guru

My thought is that Dickel is probably just a small drop in a large ocean for Diageo.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by sku View Post
    My question (and frustration) is why does Diageo pretty much ignore this great distillery. Diageo is very aggressive about marketing its Scotch and Bulleit, but they seem to view Dickel as a complete afterthought. I would love to see something cask strength or some new more upmarket expressions.

Any thoughts?
    I too would like to see more offerings from Dickel but I wonder if the folks in Tullahoma like being ignored by Diageo. They get more leeway to do what they want to do without Brits breathing down their necks and micromanaging.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Dickel kind of takes care of itself and sells where it sells. Investment in trying to sell more hasn't paid off. They've got their customers, who will buy it whether they advertise it or not, but they haven't found anything that will move the needle. Plus the warehouses are full so they can't increase production without building more warehouses. They've told me they are rising with the tide--when American whiskey sales increase overall theirs increase at about the same rate--so they are growing at a managed pace. Because their marketing costs are so low, the brand is small but profitable. There's also the thing of great big Diageo not giving much attention to something so small, especially since it is performing pretty well on the balance sheet. Bulleit, by contrast, is competing for share in a dynamic segment.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    They've told me they are rising with the tide--when American whiskey sales increase overall theirs increase at about the same rate--so they are growing at a managed pace. Because their marketing costs are so low, the brand is small but profitable.
    Marketing alcohol seems useless to me. I don't pay much attention to it. I would imagine most users of this forum don't either. We drink what we like. If it's good, we'll buy it. Rather than marketing, owners should put their money into making a better product at a cheaper price.

The age of the internet is upon us. Marketing just "happens", in forums like this, when a product is worthy. I don't think I've ever seen a Van Winkle ad.

Unfortunately, the "good bourbon" business is always 10-15 years behind.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    Marketing alcohol seems useless to me. I don't pay much attention to it.
    I pay far more atention to the marketing of a product that I already buy, and would buy again, than to things I've never tried. That goes for all consumer goods.

Generally speaking, I have a rough outline of what fits my wants, then I go in search of it, in stores or on the Internet. Advertisements are back round noise.

Enthusiast

I just love Dickel whiskey and have liked it since I started drinking. For whatever reason it just speaks to me and my tastes. That said I would dearly love to see some more diverse offerings from this facility. Barrel strength would be nice, special offerings and perhaps some experimental offerings would be a nice change and would certainly gin up some excitment for the brand.

Connoisseur

PA used to stock Dickel on the shelves but then discontinued it and now three years later are bringing back #8. It's a start but I'd rather have #12.
    Illuminati in training

Advanced Taster

I noticed Dickel Cascade Hollow won a Double Gold Medal at the 2010 San Francisco World Spirits competition.