Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: Dickel - What's Diageo's Problem?

Indeed Dickel does make a beautifully balanced whiskey. I feel the No.8, while a tad flat, is a very nice whiskey. No. 12 I'd categorize as an excellent whiskey at any price. Factor in value and it gets even better. The barrel select bottle I just purchased and reviewed was outstanding. Very much in line with No. 12, but as you would expect a bit more barrel and spice flavors, which translated as slightly better than No. 12 for me (price removed from the equation of course).

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Back to the original thread topic, "What's Diageo's problem?" I break it down in the current issue of WHISKY Magazine (No. 97).

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Back to the original thread topic, "What's Diageo's problem?" I break it down in the current issue of WHISKY Magazine (No. 97).
    Just read it Chuck...great article. So if Diageo buys Beam do you think they will jettison Dickel?

"Kick to the curb" doesn't necessarily mean 'jettison.' They'll only get rid of brands that give them anti-trust problems, which Dickel won't.

Virtuoso

The other thing that the acquisition would give Diageo is Laphroaig, which sells more than any of Diageo's single malts, though they already have two peated Islays in their portfolio (Lagavulin and Caol Ila) as well as Talisker from Skye.

If Diageo bought Beam Inc. it would probably have to unload just about everything except the bourbons, although it could choose to keep some of Beam's brands, such as Laphroaig, and sell some of the competing ones it now owns, such as Talisker.

Connoisseur

Great article. I drove through Cincy today, its been 4-5 weeks since my last pass through. The Cincy Beam location looks shut down? Looked operational last time through.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by clingman71 View Post
    Great article. I drove through Cincy today, its been 4-5 weeks since my last pass through. The Cincy Beam location looks shut down? Looked operational last time through.
    It was shut down last year. IIRC.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Connoisseur

Earlier this summer there were still signs up and trucks on the lot. Nothing today.

It was supposed to shut down this year. That plant primarily made DeKuyper products, which involves mixing GNS with flavoring. All of that was transferred to Beam in Frankfort. They haven't said what's going to happen to the facility itself. I assume they'll sell it if they can. I don't know much about the neighborhood, but I suspect if it has any value it's just for the real estate.