Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: Dickel - What's Diageo's Problem?

I wish I knew how much Evan Williams sells, but privately-owned Heaven Hill doesn't give out sales figures. I know it's number three behind Jack and Jim. I suspect it's a very distant number three but I don't know for sure.

Connoisseur

I did notice they have a new website. Better than their old one. I love the stuff. It has always been the whiskey I will treat myself with. I just wish it was not so damned expensive up here. A 750 of the cascade hollow is 24 bucks and it gets higher from there.

Advanced Taster

It's just really, really nice whiskey. I only wish it was 100 proof.

The distillery has to be among the hardest to find in the country - I got lost both going and coming when I swung by there on the way up to the Sampler. Whoever settled Cascade Hollow must have found it by accident...
    "Brown eyed women and red grenadine...
    the bottle was dusty but the liquor was clean." -Jerry Garcia

Enthusiast

George Dickel No. 8 has become my "Daily Sipper." I have plenty of real, authentic "Bourbon" whiskeys in my collection, but sitting back with a couple glasses of No. 8 is one of life's simple pleasures. I simply cannot find a "bourbon-esque" whiskey of more smoothness, refinement, and affordability than George Dickel No. 8.
    "Suppose he's got a pointed stick!?!"

- Eric Idle, Monty Python's Flying Circus

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Tasting the current George Dickel Barrel Select which is - for once the word is justified - a smooth, characterful drink of whiskey. No taste of "crunchy vitamins", which characterized the brand (all iterations) some years ago IMO and I found off-putting. A silkier shot of U.S. whiskey would be hard to envisage. Kudos to Dickel for putting a renewed emphasis on this brand at least - now I'll try the others again.

Gary

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    Tasting the current George Dickel Barrel Select which is - for once the word is justified - a smooth, characterful drink of whiskey. No taste of "crunchy vitamins", which characterized the brand (all iterations) some years ago IMO and I found off-putting. A silkier shot of U.S. whiskey would be hard to envisage. Kudos to Dickel for putting a renewed emphasis on this brand at least - now I'll try the others again.

Gary
    Hi Gary,

When was yours bottled? Mine is from 2006, and I found a strong charcoal note on the finish - I just opened it and I'm hoping this will fade over time...
    Mark

The bottle was recently bought in Florida but looking at the label, I see it states on the back "Hand Selected in 2006", so perhaps it was bottled five years ago. I don't detect any charcoal scents - some Dickel does have that, but not this one. Perhaps they differ (the various bottlings) to some degree, being a small batch. I would think the charcoal notes will lift over time, I find this occurs in general with Tennessee whiskey. Anyway this bottle was a winner and I'll deinitely try Dickel again (any brand of it).

Gary

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    Anyway this bottle was a winner and I'll deinitely try Dickel again (any brand of it).
    A brave statement, Gary -- I always enjoy No. 12 but I find the 3yo red-label Cascade Hollow to be unforgivably hot and harsh!
    Kevin

"Clears up her head with bourbon/Cause beer is so suburban/And declasse for what it's worth"

I agree, I meant the black and beige labels. I tried the red label twice and was very disappointed. But I'll give the others a try for sure based on the quality of this small batch bottling.

Gary

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

The Dickel distillery at its best makes a very well-balanced whiskey.