Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: Stupid Sazerac Cocktail Question

Quote Originally Posted by AVB View Post
    Actually you can get Herbsaint in a number of places. It's on the shelf at my local government monopoly here in PA but way over priced as usual. In DC try the DCWineGuy at 1618 17th Street NW. About $20.
    I'll have to look in to that, I was at Calvert Woodley and the guy their told me he couldn't get it...

Cheers and Thanks!
    Visit the search for glory in the bottle: http://imbibehour.blogspot.com/
    My video reviews http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...16DDF465CBC112

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Both Herbsaint and Peychauds are made by Sazerac at Buffalo Trace. I'm told they really stink up the joint. Of course they also make Sazerac Rye.

The recently-refurbished Sazerac bar is a long time fixture at the Roosevelt. The Sazerac Company doesn't have an interest but they do have a relationship.

Ye Olde Absinthe House is one of my favorite New Orleans bars. It's like a college bar, if you went to college in the 18th century.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Both Herbsaint and Peychauds are made by Sazerac at Buffalo Trace. I'm told they really stink up the joint. Of course they also make Sazerac Rye.

The recently-refurbished Sazerac bar is a long time fixture at the Roosevelt. The Sazerac Company doesn't have an interest but they do have a relationship.

Ye Olde Absinthe House is one of my favorite New Orleans bars. It's like a college bar, if you went to college in the 18th century.
    I believe some of the football helmets hanging on the wall are approximately that olde. That dust on them was thick enough to carbon date.

I liked the rocks glasses at the Sazerac bar so I bought a few at the gift shop. As if I needed more glassware.
    Craig

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

New Orleans and Quebec City are the only two cities in America where you can effectively pretend you're in Europe. I haven't been in Ye Olde Absinthe House in many years, but my memories are of it being like an 18th century tavern in London or Paris, except for the football helmets of course.

Connoisseur

I lived in Baton Rouge and visited NO fairly often during the early 80s, but I don't think I had ever gone into Ye Olde Absinthe House before. It was an interesting contrast with the Sazerac Bar, and a rather different clientele. Both enjoyable but for different reasons. I also spent some time at the back bar in the Bourbon House. The waitress gave me a free bourbon milk punch at the end of the evening.
    Craig

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post

And I had you pegged as an Arnaud's fan.

Tom

Virtuoso

I ran out of rye so I've been substituting OWA107 It's still pretty damn good. Here's my recipe:

1. Chill an old fashioned glass in the freezer for several hours (I love a drink that takes so much premeditation)
    2. Drop a sugar cube into an unchilled glass
    3. Saturate the sugar cube with 5-6 dashes of Peychaud's
    4. Add 2oz of rye (I tend to use Sazerac or Ri)
    5. Stir gently
    6. Add 1/4oz of Grand Absente (my preferred brand) to your frozen glass and swirl until it is coated with Absente. You can toss the Absente at this point but I prefer to leave it in as I really enjoy it
    7. Add your sugar, bitters and whiskey concoction to the chilled glass with Absente, careful to not let the remaining sugar grains fall into your chilled glass (otherwise your drink will be too sweet)
    8. Cut a fresh piece of lemon zest and rim the chilled glass with it's oil, finally dropping it into the drink
    9. Perfectly. Simply sublime perfection. Love me a damn Sazerac

Virtuoso

I have a bottle of VWFR rye... do I dare?

Connoisseur

I've been gonna try that too. I used Handy once for a shaker full. Pretty intense. I like this drink cold, so I've taken to pre-chilling the rye/sugar/bitters mixture.
    Craig

Advanced Taster

Using VWFRR in a cocktail would be a huge mistake. I guarantee you won't be able to taste the difference. For what it's worth, I'm actually reading this in the one bar in town that carries VWFRR and the bartender agrees. (I read SB while my cutie is powdering her nose.) Says he won't use VW for mixing, period.

I really don't understand why people even consider using rare/premium shit for mixing. But I'm obviously an absolutist on the topic. Still, I came to be that way listening to smart bartenders. This guy uses Ritt BIB, baby Saz and various Wellers for his unique drinks. One of the classiest "wells" in the city.