Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Virtuoso

Re: Stupid Sazerac Cocktail Question

Quote Originally Posted by LikeItWasSodaPop View Post
    Using VWFRR in a cocktail would be a huge mistake. I guarantee you won't be able to taste the difference. For what it's worth, I'm actually reading this in the one bar in town that carries VWFRR and the bartender agrees. (I read SB while my cutie is powdering her nose.) Says he won't use VW for mixing, period.

I really don't understand why people even consider using rare/premium shit for mixing. But I'm obviously an absolutist on the topic. Still, I came to be that way listening to smart bartenders. This guy uses Ritt BIB, baby Saz and various Wellers for his unique drinks. One of the classiest "wells" in the city.
    Not implying I would make a regular thing out of it... I just want to try it

Irreverent One

Quote Originally Posted by LikeItWasSodaPop View Post
    I really don't understand why people even consider using rare/premium shit for mixing.
    Silly you. Don't you know that the best Bloody Marys are made with Stolichnaya Elit?

and don't forget a generous dose of Tabasco!
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Connoisseur

Well I tried the Van Winkle rye in a Sazerac last night and was actually a bit disapointed. It was almost a little too strongly flavored - the rye seemed too up-front instead of harmonizing with the other tastes. So it was a good experiment, and I might try it again sometime, but for now I'll stick with some lighter ryes and drink the VW straight.
    Craig

Enthusiast

I agree that in general a top shelf product shouldn't be mixed with swill, but I also feel a top shelf high end product shouldn't really be in a cocktail, even if you mix it with something real high end also.

However, TRYING doesn't hurt, I mean what... there's still something left in the bottle right? But I would only do it at home and never in a bar.

My experience comes out disappointing too in the past with this. I took a very good agricole rum and made a basic mojito but it was really a waste. It was just better to drink the rum neat to enjoy it's nuances.

So I tend to stay away from this.
    Visit the search for glory in the bottle: http://imbibehour.blogspot.com/
    My video reviews http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...16DDF465CBC112