Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Taster

Stupid Sazerac Cocktail Question

I've got a stupid question for everyone. Is it acceptable (and more important - tasty) to substitute Angostura for Peychaud's bitters in a Sazerac cocktail? I've had the hankering to make me one, but I just can't find the Peychaud's. Thanks.

Virtuoso

Re: Stupid Sazerac Cocktail Question

I don't think you can call it a proper Sazerac without Peychaud's as that's a fundamental ingredient, but I'm sure it will still be tasty drink. I usually use both Peychaud's and Angostura when I make one.

There are multiple purveyors of Peychaud's on-line if you don't mind waiting for shipping.

Connoisseur

I use both as well. I saw that recommended somewhere.

In June I was in New Orleans for a few days so I had a few Sazeracs at a few places recommended (Ye Olde Absinthe bar and the Sazerac Bar at the Roosevelt). I was surprised that both places used Herbsaint instead of Absinthe, and when I asked they indicated that Absinthe would be too strong. I got some nice Sazerac glasses at the Sazerac Bar.

And, btw - they used Old Overholt at Ye Olde Absinthe and Sazerac at the Sazerac.
    Craig

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by cas View Post
    I was surprised that both places used Herbsaint instead of Absinthe, and when I asked they indicated that Absinthe would be too strong. I got some nice Sazerac glasses at the Sazerac Bar.
    Herbsaint is actually the traditional ingredient in New Orleans. I assume this is because it is local and part of the tradition there. Of course Absinthe was used prior to the ban, and now is being used again, but I'm not at all surprised that NOLA bars are sticking with the local favorite.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by sku View Post
    Herbsaint is actually the traditional ingredient in New Orleans. I assume this is because it is local and part of the tradition there. Of course Absinthe was used prior to the ban, and now is being used again, but I'm not at all surprised that NOLA bars are sticking with the local favorite.
    Yeah, I suspect having used herbsaint for most of the past 100 years or so it's more traditional than Absinthe. But I kinda thought Ye Olde Absinthe Bar might use Absinthe.
    Craig

Enthusiast

I love making Sazeracs and Peychauds is a must..

Also try to get a hold of Sazerac Rye whiskey made by Buffalo Trace to use also.

As for the Herbsaint stuff... well.... to me... I am not into Absinthe. I have tried a few and it is all the same to me cause licorice/anise to me isn't that varied in the nose between brands, and there isn't much more to detect.

In the Sazerac you toss most of it out anyway and just coat the glass.

If you are an Absinthe fiend then by all means find a good one, or the Herbsaint to use (which I don't think you can get outside of NOLA, I know I can't get it where I live), but my suggestion even just use Pernod in a pinch for it (they make a cheap substitute, and also have their own Absinthe but it is PRICEY!).

Don't forget the lemon twist

Cheers! friggin love a classic Saz!
    Visit the search for glory in the bottle: http://imbibehour.blogspot.com/
    My video reviews http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...16DDF465CBC112

Taster

Went out looking for rye and all I could find was Jim Beam and Old Overcoat. I've had Overholt before and wasn't on planning to go down that road again. So I picked up the Beam, which I have to say, isn't bad at all. Absinthe is ridiculously priced so I bought the Pernod. And Pechaud's just isn't available around here, so here's what I did:

Chliled down one old fashioned glass, rinsed it with the Pernod. Teaspoon of sugar and 3 dashes Angostura in the other with a drop of water. Muddled it, Poured in my Beam. Added two cubes and gave it a very quick stir, strained it into the Pernod-rinsed glass, twisted some lemon peel over it. This drink was exquisite. It's an experience, where half of the enjoyment comes from the interaction of the taste and smell. I'm going to have to order some Peychaud's from BT!

Enthusiast

Irony of ironies..

I actually was looking for some other obscure cocktail ingredients (don't get me started on Swedish Punsch )... but I found a place to buy Herbsaint online today. I hope these guys are good cause if they are there's a bunch of stuff I wouldn't mind getting from them:

http://www.drinkupny.com/

I grabbed some Sazerac rye which is actually made ... by Buffalo Trace

Here's how I like to make mine just like this master here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfhaxHYb46E
    Visit the search for glory in the bottle: http://imbibehour.blogspot.com/
    My video reviews http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...16DDF465CBC112

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

The version described using Beam sounds excellent, and some would say Beam bourbon has a rye-like note, so it fits in well there too. The original recipe is variable, and Angostura never can be wrong; still, Peychaud does give a particular flavor to it.

Gary

Connoisseur

Actually you can get Herbsaint in a number of places. It's on the shelf at my local government monopoly here in PA but way over priced as usual. In DC try the DCWineGuy at 1618 17th Street NW. About $20.

Quote Originally Posted by imbibehour View Post
    I love making Sazeracs and Peychauds is a must..

If you are an Absinthe fiend then by all means find a good one, or the Herbsaint to use (which I don't think you can get outside of NOLA, I know I can't get it where I live),
    Last edited by AVB; 09-21-2010 at 15:51.
    Illuminati in training