Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Virtuoso

Ancient Ancient Age 8 Year Old

Ancient Ancient Age 8 year old is now being exported to Japan. I just bought a bottle and my wife and I have just done a taste comparison with AAA 10 star (6 y.o., I think.) The color of the two is identical. The nose is similar, but you get more vanilla/honey with the 8 y.o. and less of that whiff of raw alcohol (which I don't dislike anyway). The 8 is bottled at 86 proof (v.s. 90 for the 10*). I'm guessing the extra water cut back the color that the 2 extra years in the barrel added. The taste of each backs up what the nose promises. Yep, it's good solid bourbon.

AAA 10* has always gotten respect in this house, but personally, I give the edge to 8 y.o. The wife goes the other way, with a slight preference for the younger juice. But really, we can't find that much difference either way.

[End of reconnaissance report. Over and out.]
    Peace, ... and Hippy Love.

Guru

Re: Ancient Ancient Age 8 Year Old

Quote Originally Posted by edo View Post
    Ancient Ancient Age 8 year old is now being exported to Japan. I just bought a bottle and my wife and I have just done a taste comparison with AAA 10 star (6 y.o., I think.) The color of the two is identical. The nose is similar, but you get more vanilla/honey with the 8 y.o. and less of that whiff of raw alcohol (which I don't dislike anyway). The 8 is bottled at 86 proof (v.s. 90 for the 10*). I'm guessing the extra water cut back the color that the 2 extra years in the barrel added. The taste of each backs up what the nose promises. Yep, it's good solid bourbon.

AAA 10* has always gotten respect in this house, but personally, I give the edge to 8 y.o. The wife goes the other way, with a slight preference for the younger juice. But really, we can't find that much difference either way.

[End of reconnaissance report. Over and out.]
    It's a funny thing about availability when it comes to certain products. Around here (Chicagoland), Ancient Age is widely available but AAA 10 Star and AAA 10 Year Old are rarely seen, though Binny's used to have the latter in stock until very recently. And Ancient Age BIB was non-existent in these parts, but I managed to find a few bottles up in Wisconsin last year which made the journey home. It seems that most SB'ers favor the 10YO over the 10 Star, but I personally prefer the BIB to both. It is slightly less astringent and fuller of body, so it gets the nod in my book. It's sure nice that AA is turning up where you are though.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    It's a funny thing about availability when it comes to certain products. Around here (Chicagoland), Ancient Age is widely available but AAA 10 Star and AAA 10 Year Old are rarely seen, though Binny's used to have the latter in stock until very recently. And Ancient Age BIB was non-existent in these parts, but I managed to find a few bottles up in Wisconsin last year which made the journey home. It seems that most SB'ers favor the 10YO over the 10 Star, but I personally prefer the BIB to both. It is slightly less astringent and fuller of body, so it gets the nod in my book. It's sure nice that AA is turning up where you are though.
    Yeah, I was quite happy to find the 8 y.o. expression for sale. I think it may be a special export to Japan. Unlike the 10 star, it has a back label written completely in Japanese. Also the word whiskey appears in Japanese on the front label. Although I prefer the 8 y.o. a bit, I've got 50ml of disappointment with it as it's sold in a 700 ml bottle. The 10 star is/was 750. (Blanton's also seems to be dropping the size of their bottles sold here to 700. On the other hand, I can buy liters of Buffalo Trace right now.)

AAA 10 year old is not sold here (as far as I can tell.)
    Peace, ... and Hippy Love.

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    And Ancient Age BIB was non-existent in these parts, but I managed to find a few bottles up in Wisconsin last year which made the journey home. It seems that most SB'ers favor the 10YO over the 10 Star, but I personally prefer the BIB to both. It is slightly less astringent and fuller of body, so it gets the nod in my book.
    I agree with Hank. I also prefer the AA BIB. I received a bottle in trade a while back, and have been on the lookout for some every since. For once luck has been on my side. I've been able to pick up a few bottles in the last couple of weeks. Now, if I could only find some EW BIB. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Connoisseur

What's the current story with the 10 year? I picked up a bottle at Binnys yesterday. Is it still in limited production?
    Craig

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by cas View Post
    What's the current story with the 10 year? I picked up a bottle at Binnys yesterday. Is it still in limited production?
    Craig
    I believe so. Probably to keep ETL supplied.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Virtuoso

I've never seen the 10 yo on the shelf here, in Ohio. I can get the 10 star, as well as the regular AA.

Trippah and Admin

Quote Originally Posted by ebo View Post
    I've never seen the 10 yo on the shelf here, in Ohio. I can get the 10 star, as well as the regular AA.
    The 10 yo has not been on the Ohio list as long as I have been monitoring it. It is a niche market product only, I believe.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Guru

It's plentiful here in No. KY.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Connoisseur

Do they still make AA BIB? The only I've seen are dusties with the old label.