Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 36 of 46 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: What bourbon did you purchase today? Fall 2010

Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    If I could find enough ORVW 10/107, I would have a lot more of them. They seem a little less consistent than the Pappy 15s in a good and bad way. Some of them are better than Pappy 15, and some of them are nowhere near as good as the same bottle right next to it. Fortunately, or unfortunately, however you look at it, Pappy 15s keep falling into my hands. And they are cheaper than the ORVW 10/107s I've had to hunt for.
    I've had terrible luck with the 10/107's lately. Last three bottles were like cough medicine. It was a favorite of mine too. The 15's have all been good to me and I've got about 10 bunkered at the moment. So here's to 15's falling into your hands !!!
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    So here's to 15's falling into your hands !!!
    Cheers!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Parkersback View Post
    Oscar, a few questions to pick your brain:

How much is ORVW 10/107 in MI?

Could you give a few tasting notes on ORVW 10/107 and why you like it better than PVW15?

Lastly, what's your take on ORVW 10/90?

Thanks in advance for letting me pester you.
    Pappy 15yo is dry and doesn't have the sweetness that I associate with a wheated bourbon.
    ORVW 10/107 is like caramelized toffee, MI state minimum is $39.95 plus 6% sales tax.
    ORVW 10/90 isn't available in the mitten. I did get some from out of state and there really is no reason to buy any more when 10/107 is available.
    It's watered down to much, it gives you hope but it doesn't deliver.

BTW, does the Parkersback screen name have anything to with "The Man With The Getaway Face"?
    ovh

Connoisseur

So sad

I went into the store after work, and picked up their last bottle of Pappy 15. He is apparently very apprciative of the Pappy, as he cautioned me to "be very careful because it's the last 15 year old".

To make up for it, I discovered he has several bottles of the Pappy rye, so I took one of those home too.
    Mark Edwards - Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

Enthusiast

Happy to say that I finally picked up a bottle each of Weller 12 and the 2010 Parker's Heritage Collection. This was the first time I saw either of them in a store.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Happy to say that I finally picked up a bottle each of Weller 12 and the 2010 Parker's Heritage Collection. This was the first time I saw either of them in a store.
    Yum Weller 12. If that stuff was more available I would drink it A LOT more!

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    Pappy 15yo is dry and doesn't have the sweetness that I associate with a wheated bourbon.
    ORVW 10/107 is like caramelized toffee, MI state minimum is $39.95 plus 6% sales tax.
    ORVW 10/90 isn't available in the mitten. I did get some from out of state and there really is no reason to buy any more when 10/107 is available.
    It's watered down to much, it gives you hope but it doesn't deliver.

BTW, does the Parkersback screen name have anything to with "The Man With The Getaway Face"?
    Thanks for your thoughts, Oscar. I had my first taste of PVW15 in a few years last night, and I put it against some old (but not SW) OWA for comparison--I ended up thinking the OWA was sweeter. Maybe not better, but sweeter. I am looking forward to seeing how the PVW15 changes now that it's been opened.

My screen name is a reference to one of the last (and best) short stories ever written by Flannery O'Connor, entitled, "Parker's Back."

Disciple

Great day. 1 Pappy 20 for 89.99, and 1 Handy 2009 for 52.99.

I'll go back for more Pappy 20 when the wife's not watching the finances so closely. This store's been sitting on them for awhile.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Parkersback View Post
    My screen name is a reference to one of the last (and best) short stories ever written by Flannery O'Connor, entitled, "Parker's Back."
    I was thinkin' the Richard Stark series of books.
    ovh

Advanced Taster

Went hunting again, largely a research trip as I'm starting to take and keep notes on prices and who-has-what. Found what I believe is my first real good bottle - which got its own thread. Also bought my first but definitely not last VOB 100 proof, and found two bottles of Old Heaven Hill which I'd never seen before, the NAS bottle, BIB.

I went to probably the biggest, best stocked store in a 50 mile radius, so large that they actually had a place on the shelf for ORVW 10/107 and PVW 13 year. Both slots were empty and dusty. I asked when they expected more in, and he said they never had any idea. They got whatever they got, and I could put my name on the call list if I wanted. They would start at the top of the list and work down it until it's all gone. I ain't holding my breath.

Anyone know of any stores between Nashville and Atlanta that are heavily stocked and have Pappy and other truly top shelf stuff?
    Gotta make it somehow on the dreams you still believe...