Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 79 1231151 ... LastLast
    Guru

What Bourbon Are You Drinking, Fall 2010

We are a couple of days into Autumn and this morning here in MI it feels like it so let's kick off a new thread for the season.

Not drinking any bourbon this morning but I plan to this afternoon, it's been eight days since I had a sip so I am already thinking about what to open.
    I'm leaning towards Old Weller Antique 107 Cork 'N Bottle selection but the question is should I go for their #39 or #40 bottle?
    Suggestions would be appreciated.
    ovh

Guru

Re: What Bourbon Are You Drinking Autumn 2010

Do the #79.... try some of each.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Guru

Good idea John, is it noon yet?
    ovh

Went out to dinner with friends last night. We tried a new Mexican place. Had a couple of kick ass margaritas with dinner. We then went over to our friend's house for a while. Had some Beam Black and Coke while sitting around a blazing fire pit. Good times. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Advanced Taster

After taking just a little taste when it arrived, a larger pour of Weller 12 was in order last night. Hmmmm.... Perhaps I should have purchased more.
    Never ask a man if he is from Virginia. If he is, he'll tell you. If he isn't, you don't want to embarass him.

Enthusiast

Re: What Bourbon Are You Drinking, Fall 2010

Having a pour of FR Yellow.

Guru

Working on some tastes of 17yr old juice. The nose on this juice is bold. So much brown sugar and candied spices. The taste has that feeling of an old time candy shop where they are making the fudge fresh. Raw vanilla and sugars cooking into a wonderful dish. Best taken in small sips/bites to allow for the complexity to coat the tongue and bring forth the chef’s intentions. Finish is long and morphing from brown sugar to raw vanilla with a touch of a dryer oak that leaves the mouth feeling fresh ready for the next tender morsel.

Virtuoso

I was also enjoying a few pours around the fire yesterday evening. I had anything from Saz and VWFRR to Old Charter 7 and Dickel #8 and some ORVW 10/107. It was a fine fall evening with some fine whiskey.
    "Brownest of the brown liquors..so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you? But I'm in the middle of a trial!" L. Hutz

Guru

Well, the first was so much fun, I thought I would pour another for some fun. Hell, its after noon and a late start for my Brotha’ OH. The nose on this one is strait vanilla from the outset of the pour. Some good swirls bring in the molasses to make the brown sugar that begins to dominate. Swirling this baby brings more of the vanilla forward. Whoo baby I would like to crawl in to this glass (or a tub of it). At 133ish proof, the alc is just the platform that brings that beautiful nose to the rim of the glass. A couple min in now and there is some dryer oak that feels appealing to rather that a deterrent. Mmmm… that dryness in the oak gives a taste of milk chocolate in the taste followed by the vanilla and brown sugar. This likes to run around my mouth. Creamy almost hiding all of the proof… and the finish has some simi sweet to mild flow that gives way to the brown sugar and then the burn vanilla sugar crystals of a classic wheater that I love so much. Yup, I like it.

Virtuoso

Doing a bit of afternoon sipping with a revisit to a 17yo Willets wheater that has now been open for a bit. Coming in at 135.5 proof it is a caramel bomb witha rich velvet mouth feel. Big proof, low heat... a very dangerous combination. This bottle is the 8th in the 17yo wheater lineup I have tasted and clearly falls among the best.. top notch juice that is far to easy to drink.....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"